How good is the apex?

U

User1

View Badges
I will take partial blame for some of the items, but not all. I’ve spent hours on the phone with tech support; they have always been responsive but after hours of troubleshooting to be told it’s not covered and it will cost $ to repair is disheartening. You mentioned the competitor I would go with.

I liked the post because I like your response, thank you. I do not like that you lost $$. That is disheartening and sorry to hear.

It felt odd liking it due to issues - sorry again.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the post because I like your response, thank you. I do not like that you lost $$. That is disheartening and sorry to hear.

It felt odd liking it due to issues - sorry again.
Sure- feel free to ping me on the side and I can go into further detail good & bad. I am still an apex user but solely bc I’m so integrated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 2cents: I went all in with Neptune a couple years ago and now have an entire shelf I call the apex graveyard. The graveyard includes 4 wavs, 2 1links, a dos, 2 fmm modules, eb8 and a few pmups and I also had a cor20 that leaked electricity. I do like apex fusion and the overall connectivity is great when it works but imho they are not built to last- I’m not doing this to start a complain session or to ruffle fanboy feathers but sharing my experience- if I were starting over, I’d go a diff direction.
I sold mine on Ebay.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you truly have that amount of failed products either you are doing something wrong or have extremely bad luck. I would be curious what your conversations with Neptune resolved. That list you provided is a bit of money out of your pocket so I can understand the frustration but somewhere in that chain I struggle with what the vendor did to assist or correct or help.

My biggest complaint with Apex is it looks like a toy. I like the look and feel of GHL and their overall design.

My issue with the Apex is not with Neptune the company or really the products themselves - its with how some people tend to use the products - at one point I was like that as well - continuing to buy module after module - to 'completely automate' the system. My response was to the OP who was trying to get a much more 'automated system'.

To me - if you depend on any 'system' - to a great degree - you tend to get complacent. When that happens it can lead to problems. My apex stuff all worked just great - until there was a power failure - at which point when it rebooted - the programming was affected - and various items ran 24/7 or were shut off - it wasn't Neptunes fault - and it was all programmed correctly - its just the power affected it. A Second time - for some reason my EBB just failed for no clear reason (turned out there was a bad chip) - but it had worked flawlessly for months.

I will say - every time I needed to contact Neptune their customer service was top notch - and prompt. As I mentioned earlier - all of my modules (except the par meter) are sold on ebay - I use the controllers (maxspect, echo tech) that come with the products I buy. I calibrate the probes often - and double check the results.

OP
OP
Sethdarkus

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2cents: I went all in with Neptune a couple years ago and now have an entire shelf I call the apex graveyard. The graveyard includes 4 wavs, 2 1links, a dos, 2 fmm modules, eb8 and a few pmups and I also had a cor20 that leaked electricity. I do like apex fusion and the overall connectivity is great when it works but imho they are not built to last- I’m not doing this to start a complain session or to ruffle fanboy feathers but sharing my experience- if I were starting over, I’d go a diff direction.
But could it last 6-8 months while away to help correct salinity changes? Ie have the apex control a auto top off to turn on till salinity decreases to x set value and turn off when at or below set value

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But could it last 6-8 months while away to help correct salinity changes? Ie have the apex control a auto top off to turn on till salinity decreases to x set value and turn off when at or below set value
There are lots of people that use the APEX to control their ATO - I wouldn't personally. Seriously - though - its a small tank - if I remember correctly - it would be easier to just have someone add water to your tank - and use the APEX for monitoring (again my opinion). There is no substitute tor direct observation imho

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two of the items that failed on me were the fmm module which is used for their ato. Both my fmm modules failed immediately after updating to the latest firmware- both had the exact same issue where the relay switch suddenly broke and would not turn off the pmup pump. Neptune was willing to fix for a repair fee. No I would not trust it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are lots of people that use the APEX to control their ATO - I wouldn't personally. Seriously - though - its a small tank - if I remember correctly - it would be easier to just have someone add water to your tank - and use the APEX for monitoring (again my opinion). There is no substitute tor direct observation imho
BTW - I have a redsea reefer that has an auto float switch it failed - no big deal - tt released 5 gallons of fresh water into a 150 gallon tank. I now put a piece of tape on the level in my sump - below which water needs to be added - when it goes below that level I add 2 gallons into the sump - I instruct my house sitter - to keep it above that level. I have never had a problem with too much or too little water since using my brain - instead of an ATO brain. I do have a Tunze ATO unit I haven't installed yet

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seth,
Most importantly...
I want to thank you for enlisting, and serving our great country!!!! Best of luck to you in your training, and career.

You can't go wrong with Apex gear. Easy to setup, and don't ever forget, there's a ton of support and help available to you for when your setup and running.

OP
OP
Sethdarkus

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I have a redsea reefer that has an auto float switch it failed - no big deal - tt released 5 gallons of fresh water into a 150 gallon tank. I now put a piece of tape on the level in my sump - below which water needs to be added - when it goes below that level I add 2 gallons into the sump - I instruct my house sitter - to keep it above that level. I have never had a problem with too much or too little water since using my brain - instead of an ATO brain. I do have a Tunze ATO unit I haven't installed yet
Not a bad idea honestly as a alternative

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another forum that shows what people use their apex for? Like a list of possible Alerts or things to program? I'm considering purchasing an apex and would like to know specifically what functions people use the alerts for.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another forum that shows what people use their apex for? Like a list of possible Alerts or things to program? I'm considering purchasing an apex and would like to know specifically what functions people use the alerts for.

Various alerts you can set up include these and ways the Apex can fix them temporary until you check it out.

• Temp too high - shut off lights, really high shut off additional equipment and turn on fans.
  • Temp too low - turn on 2nd or 3rd backup heater.
  • Salinity too high - add more top off ( I usually do this manually or confirm with a low water sensor that top off is not being added)
  • Salinity too low - ATO put in too much water, turn that off.
  • pH too high - too much Alk or Kalk added, turn those off temporarily to check what happened.
  • pH too low - your kids are throwing a parry in the basement. Grounded
  • ORP too low - something most likely died or your auto fish feeder dumped in too much food, turn that off.
  • ATO container empty - turn off ATO
  • Low water sensor - ATO isn’t working, turn off ATO pump and maybe even return pump to prevent running dry.
  • Leak sensors - Water is leaking from plumping or tank crack. Turn off return pump
  • ATO ran longer than usual - Something changed your water level in the sump most likely due to overflow and drain issues. Turn off ATO to allow you to investigate.
  • Power monitoring - Power usage on a particular outlet is too high or very low. Equipment is failing, turn it off.
Those are just the ones I use and I’m sure there are more.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various alerts you can set up include these and ways the Apex can fix them temporary until you check it out.

• Temp too high - shut off lights, really high shut off additional equipment and turn on fans.
  • Salinity too high - add more top off ( I usually do this manually or confirm with a low water sensor that top off is not being added)
  • pH too high - too much Alk or Kalk added, turn those off temporarily to check what happened.
  • ORP too low - something most likely died or your auto fish feeder dumped in too much food, turn that off.
  • Low water sensor - ATO isn’t working, turn off ATO pump and maybe even return pump to prevent running dry.
  • Leak sensors - Water is leaking from plumping or tank crack. Turn off return pump
  • ATO ran longer than usual - Something changed your water level in the sump most likely due to overflow and drain issues. Turn off ATO to allow you to investigate.
  • Power monitoring - Power usage on a particular outlet is too high or very low. Equipment is failing, turn it off.

Man...that was awesome Eschulist !!!! Thank you for sharing, this is a huge help and excellent ideas. Now I just need to learn how to program all this in =)

upload_2019-3-27_16-13-52.png

Would love to hear more "alerts" or ways folks use their Apex systems !

fattiremike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am a First Sergeant in the WAARNG, with over 30 years of Active Duty and National Guard service. I have been deployed four times and am ramping up for my fifth. So, I get where you are coming from. I bought in to the Apex in an effort to notify my wife if something is awry while I am away. However, my fear is that the Apex becomes more of a demand item than the tank and it has indeed had some issues since I bought in. Are you good with coding? They say it's plug and play but it's not. It mostly is, but it has its quirks. I have had to contact Apex numerous times and they are awesome. They can remote in and fix things I can't. I'm old school and can barely program my cell phone alarm. The head unit was defective right out of the box. The salinity wouldn't calibrate. They sent me a new one, with a 300 dollar deposit, which I got back. I got a PAR kit and it is problematic and I have to uninstall and reinstall it numerous times to get it working again after a power outage, or if I am doing maintenance and have to disconnect it. I have the AFS, and it works great, but is noisy. Who cares. Apex controls my Radions and MP40QDs, but again, it was challenging for me to set it all up to my liking. I also have a FMM and that is awesome to see if my return pump is doing it's thing.

Despite all of the issues, I like it. I can get on my phone and check the tank. I can see the flow, if the lights are on and check my EB832's to make sure the things that are supposed to be drawing power are drawing power and vice-versa. It has already saved the tank some hardships a couple of times, once when my heaters died (oddly enough both at the same time, on completely different circuits) and another time when the power went out for hours and I finally hauled butt home and hooked up the generator.

You keep bringing up salinity. The salinity probes for the Apex take months to work properly. They suck at the beginning. All over the place. It took mine around four months to steady out.

Now, my fear is that I leave and my wife won't know what to do when the Apex screws up or a module dies. I have a supply of timers and did not remove my power strips, so she can go back to manual if need be. My advice is that you should buy it as early as possible so you can work out the bugs, if need be.

Good luck in your endeavors. Be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there, in the proper uniform, maintain motivation, be first for everything (they go easier on the first, hard on the last, the last should have learned by now), and you will be fine. Thanks for your future service. Less than 10% of Americans do what you are about to do . Be proud of that.

V/r,

1SG T

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also like the fact that their coming out with a ca, mag and I think an alk monitoring system. not sure on the release date yet. but if they do that would be a little easier to look at and also test to see how if I get the same results with salifert tests that I use.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also -

Home Power Monitoring - Power to your house goes out, Apex notifies you on your phone and shuts down non-essential equipment. (Requires a UPS for your Apex and router.)
ORP Too High - Turn your ozone off before your water starts to fizz and all your corals disintegrate. (jk)
Smoke Detector - Many modern smoke detectors have a switch that you can attach to your Apex. Send a text when it alarms.
Skimmer Cup Full - Put a float switch or optical sensor in your skimmer cup, and have the Apex turn your skimmer down or off when it's full. No more overflows.
Tank Water High - Attach a float switch or optical sensor just above the highest level that your tank ever sees. Now if your drain clogs, you can have your return pump turn off before the flood.
Heater Safeguards - Many ways to help keep heater malfunctions from being disastrous. If you have two heaters, are they working properly in tandem or is one of them dead and you don't know it?
Memory Aids - Perhaps you turned off a device to service it, and accidentally forgot to turn it back on. Apex can remind you that it's still off before it becomes a problem.

Last edited:
Back