How hard can it be?

Donavan208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. New to saltwater. Have had freshwater tanks for about 20 years but was always scared of how hard I had heard a saltwater tank was. Decided to make the plunge and try it out. Started with a 5gallon Evo tank on the end table in the living room and have been bit by the bug....ordered a bigger tank.... Am loving the experience so far.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Donovan and welcome ,hope all is well.
I thought exact same thing doing my research that saltwater tanks are so hard and every fish and coral be covered in pests.
So far so good and only couple very minor problems ( knocks on wood lol)
I guess it's like anything in life and is as hard as you make it or as easiest as you make it unless get dealt a very crappy hand so to speak .
Also guessing the more accessories you have then harder it gets until you master them and then it may become easier and more self reliant but im on keep it simple path at moment

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. New to saltwater. Have had freshwater tanks for about 20 years but was always scared of how hard I had heard a saltwater tank was. Decided to make the plunge and try it out. Started with a 5gallon Evo tank on the end table in the living room and have been bit by the bug....ordered a bigger tank.... Am loving the experience so far.

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 17

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I will say about salt. The smaller the tank the harder it is. If you’re rockin and rollin with a 5 gal, a 40 is 10x easier, get a 120 and it’s exponential. More volume = more control. I started like you, with a 29 gallon. It only gets more addicting! Now I got corals growing in my garage, tanks in every room, it’s a disease!

about reefkeeing in general, you’ve found the golden ticket with this forum. Ask lots of questions, don’t get upset when someone gives you a hard NO to a coral or fish you love (we’ve done the trial and error for you), read as much as you enjoy but don’t turn it into such a project that it ruins the fun.

good luck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
D

Donavan208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I will say about salt. The smaller the tank the harder it is. If you’re rockin and rollin with a 5 gal, a 40 is 10x easier, get a 120 and it’s exponential. More volume = more control. I started like you, with a 29 gallon. It only gets more addicting! Now I got corals growing in my garage, tanks in every room, it’s a disease!

about reefkeeing in general, you’ve found the golden ticket with this forum. Ask lots of questions, don’t get upset when someone gives you a hard NO to a coral or fish you love (we’ve done the trial and error for you), read as much as you enjoy but don’t turn it into such a project that it ruins the fun.

good luck and happy reefing!
Thanks. I had heard smaller is harder so I figured if I could keep a 5 gallon tank going then I would upgrade. And will just use the small one as a qt tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome .

as mentioned many times above . It can be hard , it can be frustrating ,
And from what I’ve gathered smaller tanks are harder to maintain comparing to larger. .
I started with a 75 gal for this reason . Many years ago ……

after many upgrades , fails and hick ups I’m still reefing .

ask any question you might have .
Chances are we have already experienced and dealt with it a few times .

happy reefing .
now that your feet are wet keep your head above water .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back