How hardy is a toastool?

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bunch of corals and such in my tank and while placing some GSP I noted that there was something wrapped up in a bit of it.

it was firm yet soft and looked like a toadstool that was smothered by the GSP. I took it out and just to see what might happen I placed it in a crevis in my live rock.

A little over a week later and it looks like I have some small polyp looking things coming out of the end of it and the "stem" is very much starting to hang on to the rock.

I do not have pictures with me in the moment but - are these corals really that hardy?

Please weigh in and post some pix of your crazy coral rescues or insane come backs...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Toadstool has survived a tank with no power, flow or heat for 12 hours, 3 tank moves, over dosed kalk and it's still ticking. It hasn't grown a crazy amount mind you, but it's still tagging along. Here are it and it's Acan buddy that's gone through the same hard times....
20191110_171645.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
0 - 10 with ten being very hardy : 8.5

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also had a few toadstool just crumble and die for seemingly no reason. I suspect that they get stressed and while they keep their zooxanthellae they loose the protective coating that keeps out bacteria and that's what kills them. Mostly because it can take a pretty long time for them to die. They will after try their best to come back only to continue to shrivel until they get chalky and fall apart.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools are very hardy, but sensitive to aluminum which can be leeched from some brands of ceramic biomedia. Though hardy, they can be fickle about the flow and light they prefer - especially when acclimating to a new tank, don't like to be moved, and can shed and relocate on a whim.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back