How hot do aquarium heaters get?

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot do aquarium heaters typically get in order to heat the water, does it vary by wattage/type, do they have a set temperature they all get to and just cycle on and off until a thermometer hits a desired temperature?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bloody hot, especially the titanium ones. Hot, as in have to let cool down for 30 minutes before repositioning. Hot, as in scalded my fingers by not following the preceding advice. Some have built-in thermostats and temperature regulators (Eheim, Cobalt, etc.), others require a separate temperature controller (such as an Inkbird).

I would assume that the higher wattage heaters 400-600 watt) have the potential to get a lot hotter than the lower wattage ones 50-150 watt), but it also depends on the size of tank, desired temperature and how long they run.
;Muted

OP
OP
Joekovar

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minutes to cool down sounds fairly hot.

Looking at a glass heater I can see the coil inside getting red hot, but I think a lot of that is lost on going through the glass.

I'm guessing as far as heating elements go, the titanium heater coils may not get as hot as the coils in glass heaters since they don't have to overpower glass to heat the water.

Given that water heaters that we use for out sinks/showers typically heat water to 120-140°F I'm guessing aquarium heaters that can scald yo when touched are getting at least that hot.

I'll have to get a laser thermometer tomorrow and see how hot my old glass heater gets in open air.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found on another forum.

Attachments

• Heater-cropped.png
    Heater-cropped.png
    399.3 KB · Views: 28

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back