How long after adding first tang is too late to add another?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an upgrading 120 gallon DT tank which will be done cycling and setting up soon and I will be transferring my scopas tang and heniochus butterfly into it in about 1-2 months. I want to add another tang most likely from the bristletooth family and I am wondering how late down the line can I add the second tang to cause as little risk of aggression between it and my current scopas?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an upgrading 120 gallon DT tank which will be done cycling and setting up soon and I will be transferring my scopas tang and heniochus butterfly into it in about 1-2 months. I want to add another tang most likely from the bristletooth family and I am wondering how late down the line can I add the second tang to cause as little risk of aggression between it and my current scopas?
Honestly, I wouldn’t do it any later than a month just to reduce risk of fighting however a lot of the time, Ctenochaetus species go under the radar and don’t cause too many issues.

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wouldn’t do it any later than a month just to reduce risk of fighting however a lot of the time, Ctenochaetus species go under the radar and don’t cause too many issues.
Thats what I want thinking about time wise.

Just so I understand correctly by they go under the radar, you mean this would be the best type of tang species to add to a tank with another tang with least risk possible of aggression?

And I also hear alot of aggression issues with Purple and Yellow tangs, and I know the Scopas tangs are part of the same species, what is their aggression reputability in comparison to these tangs?

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the next tang is bigger. You can also use a fish trap to catch the first and then reintroduce them together. Switching up a few rock helps change up the territory also.

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. I have a Yellow and a Gem Tang and a few others recently added a Whitetail Kole Tang absolutely no issues at all.

And I've had the Yellow Tang for 20 years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back