How long do you give a 'missing fish' before declaring KIA?

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. While Grammas in my experience are pretty feisty, my money would be on velvet or the damsel. I have seen blues, convicts, and dominos all harass fish much larger than them (large tangs, etc.) and cause their deaths. Damsels are beautiful but I personally don't mix them with other fish, but primarily because I've never had a tank large enough to.

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... A can assure with certainty my royal gramma is dead. Woke up this morning to look over my tank as usual, and found half he's body stuck to my power head wave maker .

I'm so ******!!!! Seriously, I liked him alot, he was fun to watch just like Mr. Benny the Blenny. Now I don't know if it was the damnsel or the ick/velvet crap that they always have that killed him. Could it be my emerald crab? Or my peppermint shrimp? I mean... I work where I live. I'm a super at my complex and have my 2 15min break and hour lunch at my apt. So I'm always keeping an eye out at my tank, but I can't see the back of my live rock I wonder if maybe they did something? Frustrating.

So sorry to hear he didn’t make it :(

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a young coral beauty angelfish completely disappear in my 60 gallon never to be seen again, not a bone not a fin, nothing to this day has ever turned up. Only had 4 fish in there at the time, one of which was a dotty that hated the angel but even so I kept searching for a trace of remains or an ammonia spike, never saw either...I like to think it’s swimming happily in a parallel dimension somewhere lol.

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow watchman in my first tank that was a 60 gal. He made it through the overflow box and down into the sump within a day or so. I found him and put him back in the DT. A few days later he disappeared again. We nicknamed him Houdini because no mater what I did he would somehow make it back into the overflow. At some point he just completely disappeared. Fast forward 8 months and I broke the tank down and upgraded to a 90 and who did I find in the sump? Houdini!
He now is happy in the new 90 DT and will disappear for days at a time and then pop back up with no issue.

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow watchman in my first tank that was a 60 gal. He made it through the overflow box and down into the sump within a day or so. I found him and put him back in the DT. A few days later he disappeared again. We nicknamed him Houdini because no mater what I did he would somehow make it back into the overflow. At some point he just completely disappeared. Fast forward 8 months and I broke the tank down and upgraded to a 90 and who did I find in the sump? Houdini!
He now is happy in the new 90 DT and will disappear for days at a time and then pop back up with no issue.
I had a small fairy wrasse that liked to take a 'totally tubular' ride through my overflow. I'd find him in my sump regularly, and I only had trouble fishing him out the first time. After that he would swim into the net because he learned he'd go back up for another go when he was ready.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did a rescape today and found the corpse of the Prawn Goby. No sign of the pistol shrimp. I think the CUC got him.

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small fairy wrasse that liked to take a 'totally tubular' ride through my overflow. I'd find him in my sump regularly, and I only had trouble fishing him out the first time. After that he would swim into the net because he learned he'd go back up for another go when he was ready.
Guess who I found in the sump after he went missing in the new 90 after a week...

5978AD5E-529B-496F-A845-B407677A78F5.jpeg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a 4" long steinitz goby go missing for over a year, only discovered it during a tank swap.

Interesting thing is during swap I had it in a 20g w/ other fish, for about a week, and it was forced out in open.
After that it never hid again.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back