How long should you wait til you feed your new fish

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently bought a blue tang and a flame hawk its only been probably a day and a half dropped small amounts of frozen food but understandably they are hiding due to stress coming into a new tank just a question when should i increase the amount and how long would you think they start to feel comfortable?

Thankyou for any advice very much appreciated

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have them in qt? It usually takes 3 days for the fish to feel relatively safe provided they have hiding places. I never found Tangs to be problematic eaters. Some had to learn to eat Nori, but other than that, no issues.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be bad advice, but I generally feed the tank before I put newcomers in to get everyone feeling fat and happy... and then again an hour or so after I put new fish in the tank. Sometimes you get some nibbles right away.

If they don't nibble right away, I overfeed constantly until I see they do eat. I figure it reduces food aggression and also gives the newcomer(s) plenty of opportunity.

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have them in qt? It usually takes 3 days for the fish to feel relatively safe provided they have hiding places. I never found Tangs to be problematic eaters. Some had to learn to eat Nori, but other than that, no issues.
Nah they are in the main tank first fish back since my previous fish were lost to brooklynella.
Thankyou for the advice just losing fish previously has got me worried about everything lol they for sure look like they're coming out more then the first day

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a Hawkfish. Yellows can be skittish, but you should be fine in a day or two. Mine is 9 years old, and is still afraid of me.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back