G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case 9 months that's how long lol
A few weeks ago or so I spotted a tiny little bit of coraline algae and was stoked, well today 9 months 4 days in I have about 10 spots of coraline algae on my glass bottom.
I was taking a close look at a bite in the backside of my flame angel (purple tang suspected) when I looked down at the obvious signs of coraline algae forming on my BB.
Now I have been dosing AFR for 5 weeks now, my numbers are all where they should be and I truly believe that the tank is finally matured. 9 months, like incubating a baby lol

There's no rushing coraline algae, a mature tank and this hobby
Now I know that coraline algae is a double edged sword but I'd rather have it and have to feed it than not have it and wonder why.
Yes, little things excite me lol

20210925_114429.jpg 20210925_113457.jpg

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be happy with the 9 months of being relatively "coraline free". Once the stuff takes off it coats *everything*. The water that I cleaned a pair of ReefWaves in yesterday was maroon...
Lol I know but it does look nice but will challenge your equipment and suck in your calcium/Alk

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I know but it does look nice but will challenge your equipment and suck in your calcium/Alk
Looks nice, quadruples your equipment maintenance. I've had to significantly increase my EzeClean budget this year!

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it, it's a good thing. One tuxedo urchin will make sure you never gets too much coraline algae - whatever it can't finish eating it'll make fashionable cloth out of them

20210131_172356.jpg
That's hysterical lol

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it, it's a good thing. One tuxedo urchin will make sure you never gets too much coraline algae - whatever it can't finish eating it'll make fashionable cloth out of them

20210131_172356.jpg
I’ll take the #3 coralline algae value pack, to go. :)

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me roughly 3-4 weeks until I started noticing coralline algae on my power head. I added a bunch of empty coralline covered snail shells from my mature LFS' tank at the 1 week mark. Stuff is everywhere now nearly 3 months in.
That's awesome, were you dosing from the beginning?

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also near 9 months in and see barely any Coraline algae. Params stable and I have LPS, SPS, clam, but Coraline never seems to want to grow..
I only got there I believe once my bare bottom became stable and I started dosing AFR. Before that, I had very little in the way of corals and had no real need to dose. But once I started 5 weeks ago it has really taken off. Earlier today I found big patches on one of my rocks and I attributed all to dosing.

My big 3 prior to dosing
Alk. 7.2
Mag. 1410
Cal. 420

After 5 weeks
Alk. 9.3
Mag. 1440
Cal. 434

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case 9 months that's how long lol
A few weeks ago or so I spotted a tiny little bit of coraline algae and was stoked, well today 9 months 4 days in I have about 10 spots of coraline algae on my glass bottom.
I was taking a close look at a bite in the backside of my flame angel (purple tang suspected) when I looked down at the obvious signs of coraline algae forming on my BB.
Now I have been dosing AFR for 5 weeks now, my numbers are all where they should be and I truly believe that the tank is finally matured. 9 months, like incubating a baby lol

There's no rushing coraline algae, a mature tank and this hobby
Now I know that coraline algae is a double edged sword but I'd rather have it and have to feed it than not have it and wonder why.
Yes, little things excite me lol

20210925_114429.jpg 20210925_113457.jpg
Scrape the few spots …. It will multiply and spread .

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, the best thing you can do for coraline algae is to make calcification as easy as possible, and for that to happen alk and ca levels alone is only half the battle. PH is the secret sauce bc alk is a total concentration of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate. Calcification needs carbonate, which exist in higher concentrations in higher pH.

My tank had always maintained alk between 8 to 9 and calcium north of 425. However for years I struggled with getting any coralline. Turns out my pH was always at 7.7 and it wasn't until I switched to soda ash and added co2 scrubber to boost my pH to 8.2 that my coraline exploded. Entire tank turned purple within 2 months

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back