How Many Fish Can I Quarantine at Once?

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (9) fish coming to me via post:

(2) banner, (3) clowns, (1) blue hippo, (1) powder blue tang, (1) yellow tang, 1 bicolor goby.

These "supposedly" were quarantined by a friend of a friend for two weeks.

I still would like to quarantine them before adding to my reef tank. Normally I wouldn't take this many fish all at once, but the person who gave me his aquarium was able to get these at a low cost.

Can I quarantine these all at once in a QT tank? If so, how large should the tank be? How will I keep ammonia down? I'm planning on running Copper 21 days and then Prizo for another week or so to eliminate all risks to my tank.

My tank is 150 gallon and fully cycled with 25 corals and two fish already so I don't want to risk getting ich in the DT, however, I was given some poly labs medic medicine which supposedly is reef safe.

Should I just put fish straight into tank after acclimation and use Medic if needed, or risk QT and losing (9) awesome fish to ammonia levels.

I have some time before the fish arrive (1-2 weeks) and can have a 40-50 gallon QT tank made up quick with sponge/bio filters ahead of time if needed.

New tank owner, inherited reef, no QT tank currently on hand, but I can get one if I need to.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no reef safe ich cures, the ones that claim to be dont work.

Set up the QT tank asap and dump in some Biospira as well as seeded bio media from DT. You can get one of the seachem ammonia badges but IMO the tank should be able to handle that bioload if you get it set up right away and running. Depending on how much time you have you can dose the seeded tank with ammonium chloride to boost the bacterial population. If you do this do a large water change before they are placed in the QT tank.

My QT is a 20H that I have done multiple tangs, multiple angelfish ect. If your bio capacity is high the tank can handle it. Aggression ect is a different story all together. Im assuming the fish are somewhat small still as well.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no reef safe ich cures, the ones that claim to be dont work.

Set up the QT tank asap and dump in some Biospira as well as seeded bio media from DT. You can get one of the seachem ammonia badges but IMO the tank should be able to handle that bioload if you get it set up right away and running. Depending on how much time you have you can dose the seeded tank with ammonium chloride to boost the bacterial population. If you do this do a large water change before they are placed in the QT tank.

My QT is a 20H that I have done multiple tangs, multiple angelfish ect. If your bio capacity is high the tank can handle it. Aggression ect is a different story all together. Im assuming the fish are somewhat small still as well.

Good luck!
Thanks! They should be small. I live overseas and can get a 30-40 gallon tank made for $40. I don't have Biospira, but Brightwell 7 - should do the same thing.

Was thinking of just using a hang on back filter along with a sponge filter or something in tank.

I can also add some bio media (ceramic rings) from sump (good idea). I have about (7) days before the fish show up - they won't ship til next week sometime.

I was told, however, that copper meds kill all the bio media bacteria. Is that the case? I'm planning to run Cupramine for 21 days and then Prizo afterwards before adding to DT.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They should be small. I live overseas and can get a 30-40 gallon tank made for $40. I don't have Biospira, but Brightwell 7 - should do the same thing.

Was thinking of just using a hang on back filter along with a sponge filter or something in tank.

I can also add some bio media (ceramic rings) from sump (good idea). I have about (7) days before the fish show up - they won't ship til next week sometime.

I was told, however, that copper meds kill all the bio media bacteria. Is that the case? I'm planning to run Cupramine for 21 days and then Prizo afterwards before adding to DT.

Yes microbacter 7 will work. I also use a AC50 and a sponge filter along with an additional air stone for extra surface break.

Adding ceramic rings is a good idea, place them in the filter media box.

Copper meds do not kill media bacteria. I would also highly recommend copper power over cupramine. How do you plan on testing copper concentration? Copper needs to be run for at least 30 days if you are using the same QT tank throughout the process and prazi should be used in two doses 5-7 days apart for about 14 days of treatment. I will also recommend general cure over prazi pro.

Could I just put some live rock in QT ahead of time instead of ammonium chloride. Of course, I would take rock out before adding meds.

Adding live rock ahead of time wont do anything. You can skip the ammonium addition. Just keep an eye on NH4. Like I said, if you add ceramic rings from DT, the tank should be able to handle the bioload.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes microbacter 7 will work. I also use a AC50 and a sponge filter along with an additional air stone for extra surface break.

Adding ceramic rings is a good idea, place them in the filter media box.

Copper meds do not kill media bacteria. I would also highly recommend copper power over cupramine. How do you plan on testing copper concentration? Copper needs to be run for at least 30 days if you are using the same QT tank throughout the process and prazi should be used in two doses 5-7 days apart for about 14 days of treatment. I will also recommend general cure over prazi pro.

Adding live rock ahead of time wont do anything. You can skip the ammonium addition. Just keep an eye on NH4. Like I said, if you add ceramic rings from DT, the tank should be able to handle the bioload.
That was one of my questions: what should I use to test copper concentration? Seachem? Another?

Can I dose prazi / general cure in same tank at same time as copper power? Also, please clarify: Prazi or general cure should be dosed 14 days, then wait 5-7 days, then another dose for 14 days. Correct?

AC50 - sorry, I'm a newbie...what is this?

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for copper power over cupramine. You'll want to pick up a Hanna copper checker as well if you can to make sure the dosing is accurate

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also do ttm. Tank transfer method. Also you can set up smaller, multiple qt. Spread the fish out. If something goes south, it isn't everyone

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is worth it if you are going to continue to QT. If you are using cupramine you almost have to have hanna, the theraputic vs lethal range is very narrow. WIth copper power you have a large range so you can be inaccurate but still in theraputic range. Salifert is Cu test I used before hanna.

General cure is prazi and metro together. I would also get seachem focus and feed foods that are soaked/binded with general cure. I would also not cancel your order and have general cure, prazi and metro all on hand.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy 1 - get two free! I ordered prazi and metro already, but can probably cancel on Amazon and just buy General Cure for a 1-stop shop.

Yep, when I QT'ed my current livestock I did a couple weeks of copper power @ 2.0 and then transferred to a clean, cycled tank and did the general cure rounds followed by a couple weeks of observation. Like @piranhaman00 mentioned in the earlier post it sounds like the timing will be rushed, so the biggest thing will be getting beneficial bacteria and seeded media in the tank ASAP and an ammonia badge to keep an eye on things. The AC50 term mentioned was in reference to the Aqua Clear AC50 HOB power filter - If you go that route make sure to not use the carbon bag, and consider using the sponge plus some good media like SeaChem Matrix for a bio filter. +1 on the air pump/sponge combo, bigger the better imo.

dr.ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any info on them being together previously? I'd assume if yes then they are less likely to be aggressive when reunited after shipping. Might want to plan on extra objects for hiding/spacing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back