How many fish?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

My 120 gallon, 60" tank is cycling now and I'm starting to get serious about my fish plan.

There are lots of fish I am interested in, but I would like to hear people's opinions as to how many fish would be a comfortable and healthy level would be? It will eventually be a mixed reef.

I know it depends on what kind of fish. But I suppose my question is does this look reasonable:

2-4 bottom dwellers
2-4 rocks / midlevel

2 big swimmers (ie foxface or a tang?)

3-5 school (chromis?)

Total of 10-12 with mainly smaller fish but a couple of larger ones.

Plus a variety of inverts, corals, etc...

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your 2 big swimmers in a 120 if you are planning on tangs I would suggest 1 Ctenochaetus and 1 Zebrasoma, Acanthurus are for the most part gonna be more trouble than good.
Chromis tend to pick each other off until there is just 1 left
You are on the right track with getting a potential list now you just need to implement and avoid impulse buys that are not on your list.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine but atleast 125+ lb rock good flow excellent skimmer and only add 2 to 3 fish a month
Yes, the plan is to go slow, and in the order that makes sense.

I have about 140lbs of rock.

Any suggestions for an excellent skimmer that will fit in a 7.5" x 8" space in the sump (the sump configuration is a bit odd)?

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your 2 big swimmers in a 120 if you are planning on tangs I would suggest 1 Ctenochaetus and 1 Zebrasoma, Acanthurus are for the most part gonna be more trouble than good.
You are on the right track with getting a potential list now you just need to implement and avoid impulse buys that are not on your list.

Thanks,
Any suggestions for small schooling fish if not Chromis'?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 5' tank smaller, more peaceful Acanthurus species, such as convict or mimic tangs would work.

High flow and small frequent feedings decrease the liklihood of chromis picking each other off.
Fire fish are cool
Although social in the wild, firefish are intolerant of one another except to part of a bonded pr.

Ultimately, bioload varies tank to tank, and stocking does depend on the specific species.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 5' tank smaller, more peaceful Acanthurus species, such as convict or mimic tangs would work.

High flow and small frequent feedings decrease the liklihood of chromis picking each other off.

Although social in the wild, firefish are intolerant of one another except to part of a bonded pr.

Ultimately, bioload varies tank to tank, and stocking does depend on the specific species.
Thanks very much.

I'll ask in a separate thread about feeding as I've seen so many different views, but what does small frequent feeding mean?

I'm thinking mainly frozen food btw.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much.

I'll ask in a separate thread about feeding as I've seen so many different views, but what does small frequent feeding mean?

I'm thinking mainly frozen food btw.
3+ feedings a day, but only what can be eaten in 10-20 seconds.

Most reef species are better suited for feedings like this. I recommend taking the amount of food for the whole day, what most would do in 1 or 2 feedings, and break it up into several feedings about 45-60 min apart.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back