How many holes csn I drill?

Malakai2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34 gallon glass tank I'm planning set up as a peninsula with a sump and a split return flow. There are currently no holes drilled in the tank. I'm planning to drill a hole centered on one end and silicone an overflow box over that hole and bulkhead.

The return flow I'd like to split into two streams on either side of the overflow box. Would the glass panel support drilling a hole for each return, or would that weaken or stress the glass end panel too much? I could route the returns over the tank rim on that end but that introduces more 90 degree bends in the returns and adds some clutter to the tank.

I also suppose I could get by if I moved the overflow over to one side of the end panel and ran a single unsplit return on the other side, attach a flow randomizer to thst return, and add a wavemaker to the opposite end of the tank. Any thoughts?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive the glass being drilled isn't temepered?

waterbox15aio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34 gallon glass tank I'm planning set up as a peninsula with a sump and a split return flow. There are currently no holes drilled in the tank. I'm planning to drill a hole centered on one end and silicone an overflow box over that hole and bulkhead.

The return flow I'd like to split into two streams on either side of the overflow box. Would the glass panel support drilling a hole for each return, or would that weaken or stress the glass end panel too much? I could route the returns over the tank rim on that end but that introduces more 90 degree bends in the returns and adds some clutter to the tank.

I also suppose I could get by if I moved the overflow over to one side of the end panel and ran a single unsplit return on the other side, attach a flow randomizer to thst return, and add a wavemaker to the opposite end of the tank. Any thoughts?
This is fine provided the glass is not tempered.

A few general comments and recommendations:
- Glass at top of tank experiences relatively little pressure as water pressure is a function of depth.
- Drill holes at least 4”+ apart, 6”+ if possible and at least a few inches from corners. Holes to close to each other or corners can easily crack when plumbing the tank if the bulkhead gets knocked etc.
- IMO one return is adequate for a 34g tank. Use the return for filtration and a wavemaker for current.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back