How many lights do I need

DangleBerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to start up my first saltwater tank. I've purchased most of my equipment. Including lights, Which im now unsure of. I bought two used Kessil a160we tuna blues with goosenecks and spectral controller for £350 off ebay.

Will these light be powerfull enough for my tank?
How many more lights would I need?

Any help whould be much appreciated!

Im going to be purchasing a REDSEA Reefer XXL 750Litre
(Dimensions: L 180cm x W 65cm x H 60cm)

Thanks Dan.

zsuzsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no , you can use them they're nice lights but on that tank you would need about 15 of them. there are sticky threads on the site that will guide you for proper lighting for your needs. ie. what type reef ?, sps, mixed, fish only etc... good luck... zsu

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered getting the Reefer 750XXL Deluxe? It comes with lights and will save you a couple hundred dollars over buying separate lights and mounting posts. My Reefer 170 Deluxe is a very nice setup and I would do it again with a larger tank.

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360 would be a better option but with the two 160s you would be able to grow a decent amount of corals you’d need to run the lights at a high intensity. And definitely don’t do sps on the sand bed. People often underestimate the kessils power they are a great fixture. However trying to span that length with them you would have some good dead spots for sure

OP
OP
DangleBerry

DangleBerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered getting the Reefer 750XXL Deluxe? It comes with lights and will save you a couple hundred dollars over buying separate lights and mounting posts. My Reefer 170 Deluxe is a very nice setup and I would do it again with a larger tank.
Yes I have, I was just trying to save myself some money. Plus I really like the shimmer kessils give off. Back to sqaure one again I guess.

OP
OP
DangleBerry

DangleBerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360 would be a better option but with the two 160s you would be able to grow a decent amount of corals you’d need to run the lights at a high intensity. And definitely don’t do sps on the sand bed. People often underestimate the kessils power they are a great fixture. However trying to span that length with them you would have some good dead spots for sure
I've just put a refund request in for eBay. Ill have another think about what to get.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back