How many ml/min do you run your AWC?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what people's needs are for pump speed when doing auto water changes?

I personally run my 2 versas continuously 24/7 changing out 7 gallons which roughly calculates to 18ml/min.

But I'm genuinely curious if some people prefer short, fast bursts of their pumps and if so, what sort of speeds are you getting your pump up to?

What's your max ml/min for your awc?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the auto aqua rather than anything through a controller/dosing pump, but it takes about 5 minutes to change 4 gallons. so 3,028.32 ml/min. I am looking into swapping the mini pumps for hydros (it's the same pump on the auto aqua, just with a drive port connection rather than the dc connection.) But I think it will take too many drive and sense ports to construct an awc system.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the auto aqua rather than anything through a controller/dosing pump, but it takes about 5 minutes to change 4 gallons. so 3,028.32 ml/min. I am looking into swapping the mini pumps for hydros (it's the same pump on the auto aqua, just with a drive port connection rather than the dc connection.) But I think it will take too many drive and sense ports to construct an awc system.
Thanks for your feedback. Do you find that changing out that much in 5 minutes is beneficial? Or is it because of the nature of how auto aqua operates that it's inherent to replace that much in such a short period of time?

And I assume the way auto aqua operates, it operates one pump at a time?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my AWC pump for about a hour and a half a day, which changes out about 1.5 gallons. Which if my math is right means I’m getting about 95ml/min. I run mine for the hour and a half continuously and don’t do multiple changes a day.
My pump is an old school masterflex and I don’t do a continuous water change because my pump is loud, very loud, and even though it’s in my utility room I can still hear it in other rooms of the house.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my AWC pump for about a hour and a half a day, which changes out about 1.5 gallons. Which if my math is right means I’m getting about 95ml/min. I run mine for the hour and a half continuously and don’t do multiple changes a day.
My pump is an old school masterflex and I don’t do a continuous water change because my pump is loud, very loud, and even though it’s in my utility room I can still hear it in other rooms of the house.
Thank you, noise is definitely a factor with some of those masterflex pumps. Although, I'm sure, a lot of people would gladly trade noise for robust hardware that can be relied upon.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback. Do you find that changing out that much in 5 minutes is beneficial? Or is it because of the nature of how auto aqua operates that it's inherent to replace that much in such a short period of time?

And I assume the way auto aqua operates, it operates one pump at a time?
I don't think it's necessarily beneficial over one that would be slower, but I don't think there's any detriment either - I don't have a way to fine tune the speed. It's pretty quiet except for an audible alert to let me know it's done. Auto Aqua does do one pump at a time - it's comprised of three total pumps.

Pump 1 is in RODI water, and activates as an ATO. Second pump is in the tank, and third pump is in my salt water storage. Water Changes are scheduled to happen every 24 hours for 4 gallons. first it removes water from the tank, I have it set up in my skimmer chamber, with the hose running through a strip of plyboard that I put in my window to create a pass through to the outside, into a waste water container that I empty into my french drain when it gets full. (very redneck set up, but it works for me without doing any major renovating.) I also use this plyboard pass through to bring fresh air into my skimmer. Then the pump in the salt water container goes and refills up to the top optical sensor.

The ATO uses the high water level sensor as well, and the low water sensor is how you tell it how many gallons it's taking out. So you have a little bit of math to do based on the dimensions of your tank to figure out how much you're taking out.

Overall I'm quite happy with it.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what people's needs are for pump speed when doing auto water changes?

I personally run my 2 versas continuously 24/7 changing out 7 gallons which roughly calculates to 18ml/min.

But I'm genuinely curious if some people prefer short, fast bursts of their pumps and if so, what sort of speeds are you getting your pump up to?

What's your max ml/min for your awc?

I've not set one up yet but my plan was to stop ATO and dosing, remove X amount, then put in Y amount, turn back on ATO and dosing and be done. My thinking was that I'm stopping everything then pulling out what I want. Once finished I'd put in an equal amount. In short limiting any chance of pulling out water or elements I've just put in.

The more I thought about it though I don't think it would matter in my case as I'm only planning a couple gallons a day. I was trying to think if the juice is worth the squeeze by calculating a 100% water change over a set number of days with automation...

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Autoaqua AWC as well. According to it's website, pump flow rate is about 280l/hr.
I change 60L once a week and I think it works really great and loves it pretty much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back