How many of you actually use GFCI outlets? (POLL)

Do you use GFCI outlets and power strips?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say most people do? To start off, im a newb at reefs, this is my first post, but i'm highly experienced within the freshwater tanks category, im looking into starting a reef and one thing i noticed is some articles emphasizing the importance of GFCI outlets and power strips, but none of these are really all that common within the freshwater scene from my experience. Only thing you here in the freshwater community is about drip loops on your wires, to ensure water doesn't touch the outlet. But It does make sense to have these for saltwater though as i've seen several people have their power strips inside their aquarium stand cabinets, above their sumps which puts me on edge a bit. i'm not too familiar as to if these are a safety feature to prevent water and electricity from meeting, or if it has to do with the possibility of a power outage, in that case, wouldn't the sump itself be able to withstand the extra water without overflowing? assuming you set it up properly?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run some things on GFCI. I will not run a return pump on one, or another piece of equipment that I need to stay running if some fish farts and trips a GF. I do run the less critical stuff on one.

Drip loops, keep your power strips and stuff off of the floor will go a long way.

Some people agree, some people think that I am a moron. You are going to get a wide range of polarizing answers here.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1566590798787.png

I use these. I've had gfci outlets and if something trips it the whole outlet is out. With these I don't have all the pumps on the same one, so if one is tripped there's still some kind of circulation.

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run everything off a GFCI outlet. I'm moving my tank next week and one of my "projects" this weekend is the replace the standard outlet where the tank is moving to a GFCI.

OP
OP
R

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1566590798787.png

I use these. I've had gfci outlets and if something trips it the whole outlet is out. With these I don't have all the pumps on the same one, so if one is tripped there's still some kind of circulation.
whats the name of these? how does it actually work?

OP
OP
R

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run some things on GFCI. I will not run a return pump on one, or another piece of equipment that I need to stay running if some fish farts and trips a GF. I do run the less critical stuff on one.

Drip loops, keep your power strips and stuff off of the floor will go a long way.

Some people agree, some people think that I am a moron. You are going to get a wide range of polarizing answers here.
as a noob, would you mind telling me what it is you do and dont run on them? do you use any sort of waterproof/aquarium safe power strips?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1566590798787.png

I'm not familiar with those. I like your idea. Could you post a link please?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump and UV are not on GFCI. Everything else is GFCI protected. The powerful UV ballasts can pop GFCI outlets. The return pump is not because I can’t have the tank shut down in case a GFCI pops.

OP
OP
R

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump and UV are not on GFCI. Everything else is GFCI protected. The powerful UV ballasts can pop GFCI outlets. The return pump is not because I can’t have the tank shut down in case a GFCI pops.
i imagine you have a lot more electrical gear though right? top off systems etc that need to be all plugged in? do you use a multi outlet powerstrip? unless you somehow have like 4 outlets in 4 foot radius....

OP
OP
R

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run my Halides nor my return pump on a GFCI. I have never met a true waterproof power strip.
so what do you connect your current/wave makers to? outlet or powerstrip?

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run everything on GFCI. I also made my own portable GFCI outlet by using a metal junction box and extension cord. I realized when replacing outlets that some of my junction boxes were too narrow for the modern GFCI outlets so that was partially why I made my own portable GFCI gig. The portable affords me some flexibility. I haven't had good luck with the store bought portal GFCI. It kept tripping for no good reason.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all on independent GFCI. I have enough lights on separate to be okay if one pops, same with returns and in tank circ.

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have everything on a GFI. One time, while setting up a tank, my return line popped off my return pump, shooting water all over my power strip. I didn't have a GFI at this point. I had no choice but to grab the wet plug and got electrocuted pretty badly. I was home alone when it happened and all I could think about was my family finding me dead under the fish tank. So yeah, I think they are important.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say most people do? To start off, im a newb at reefs, this is my first post, but i'm highly experienced within the freshwater tanks category, im looking into starting a reef and one thing i noticed is some articles emphasizing the importance of GFCI outlets and power strips, but none of these are really all that common within the freshwater scene from my experience. Only thing you here in the freshwater community is about drip loops on your wires, to ensure water doesn't touch the outlet. But It does make sense to have these for saltwater though as i've seen several people have their power strips inside their aquarium stand cabinets, above their sumps which puts me on edge a bit. i'm not too familiar as to if these are a safety feature to prevent water and electricity from meeting, or if it has to do with the possibility of a power outage, in that case, wouldn't the sump itself be able to withstand the extra water without overflowing? assuming you set it up properly?
My existing DT all outlets on GFIC, but for chillers and main pump they're on regular outlet, in case GFIC trips accidentally .

Screenshot_2019-08-23-14-46-56.png

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy not to use them. If any of the
equipment fails and such voltage comes in contact with the water then you will be protected. Light or electric tools falls in tank or sump etc. Things happen. Also, I had a lightning strike about 300 feet from the house. Blew out sprinkler system valves, melted wires under ground, traveled to control box in garage, blew cover off and started a fire. Both tanks have gfi and they Tripped. Saved all my equipment and fish perhaps. Most trip 5ms. There is risk of failure so I added battery backup for my icecap to keep flow in DT in case your not home. So, go to Amazon and order one /two and use them. May save your life and fish ....

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back