How many of you have used Walt Smith Fiji Ultra Rock?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am about to have some shipped to me and wanted to hear your stories. I am about to embark on a tank reset due to another issue I have had as well. So I am going to change out my rock as well and see what happens.

Tell me what you think about the rock.

1-FijiUltra-AirFreightRock.jpg

4-PukaniRock.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with it...curious to see what people have to say.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not familiar with it...curious to see what people have to say.

Thanks! I have 13 boxes arriving today! GULP! :)

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, hope the reset goes well. I would try 10-20 lbs spread out of the garf grunge, full of coraline, sponges and microfauna. I am willing to wager it makes a big difference in stability.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the past I used similar rock and have had some pretty nice reef tanks. I am going back to my roots and trying to go more natural and live in the tank for a reboot of the 400g basement reef.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got this rock in and wow to say it is teeming with life is an understatement. Kinda scary to be honest because there is no way I am getting all the bad out of all the holes and crevices. There were worms galore, little and small. Oh and crabs big and small like you would not believe! most were tiny but I did catch one that was about the size of a golf ball and banished him to the xenia tank. crazy looking critters.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ummm even with an industry "friend deal" it was hard to choke down after I received the final shipping bill. Put it this way. I will try to sell some odd and ends things to help recuperate the cost!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@d2mini how do you handle all the critters of your gulf rock?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots more awesome rocks. I was just wet and tired!

I would lift out the rocks and the bottom of the box would have 10-20 crabs in it, worms, and other critters.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some good looking rock teaming with life @revhtree.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini how do you handle all the critters of your gulf rock?
When I get the rock from TBS it's packed in bags of water, so I'm working quickly to preserve maximum life.
I pull out a rock from the bag, give it a quick look on all sides to see if I see anything like gorilla crabs or mantis, and then toss it in the tank.
Anything that makes it in there (there will be plenty) I deal with over time. The bigger guys will come out and you can grab them then. Or stab them if you feel so inclined. ;)
Those long tweezers work great.
You can expect little babies hiding wayyyyy deep inside the nooks and crannys to eventually grow and appear months later. Again, just grab them when you see them.
Remember, the majority if this stuff is not hurting anything. They can actually be a great part of your clean up crew. It's when they get really big that they might start to post problems.
But the bigger they get the easier they are to catch.

I saw a little gorilla crab last night, smaller than a dime. He was under the front side of a rock. No way I'll get him now, and I don't care.
Some day.... some day. muwahahahaha! :D

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am talking about! Yeah! Rev you are going to have a a ton of awesome critters in there and all that natural coraline algae....*drools* I think you are going to be stoked.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've fought lousy results for years now and blamed one thing after another. I finally beat algae and still wasn't having success with stable parameters, mimicking successful reefers' setups. I dropped some Marco rock in my sump for about a month, then removed all of my old rock and put the Marco in my display. Suddenly, everything colored up and began to grow. I've had to tweak a few things since my nitrates dropped a bit and my water cleared up notably, but I'm mainly just suggesting that rock can make a huge difference.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back