How many tangs in a 210

300bowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 6ft 210 gallon tank. Just wondering how many tangs you guys would recommend to put in there. I was think 3 to 4.

There is going to be mostly smaller fish in the tank other than the tangs. Some wrasse, a couple gobies, etc.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's totally up to you and your plans. My 180 is similar dimensions and houses 9 smaller to medium sized tangs. If you push the envelope as I do you'll need LOTS of protein skimming power and fantastic husbandry (no parasites) as well as a plan "B" for problem fish.

Most would say 3-4 is reasonable. I've always been one to break rules. I will say though that in 1-3 years I will be moving to a new house and it will be built around two 10' wall tanks so they'll have more room.

I've always sold tangs if they outgrow my tanks as well. My local reefers really love me they buy them up all the time!

oscarinw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I depends on the kind of tangs you'd like to put there. I wouldn't recommend more than 2-3 hippos or nasos but you can probably have 6 yellow tangs. However, 210 might be even too small for even 1 of some tangs such as clown tangs. In short, it depends...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown would be ok for awhile in a 210 bit dussumeri and other giant acanthurus tangs would not. Just my .02

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 in a 300 and current issues arising between a powder brown beating up on a blue regal, even though both have been in the tank together for years

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 in a 300 and current issues arising between a powder brown beating up on a blue regal, even though both have been in the tank together for years
Yeah powder blue are nasty. Lots and lots of tangs will reduce this problem and spread aggression but PBT are the nastiest of all tangs IMO

OP
OP
300bowler

300bowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can successfully have them I would put a desjardini Sailfin, a mimic lemon peel, a blue tang (dori), and an Achilles.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can successfully have them I would put a desjardini Sailfin, a mimic lemon peel, a blue tang (dori), and an Achilles.
I see no reason that couldn't work assuming proper qt and medication procedures!

OP
OP
300bowler

300bowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason that couldn't work assuming proper qt and medication procedures!
They would all be in qt for at least a month before entering the display tank. And i was thinking that I should add the Achilles last with the mimic lemon peel being second to last due to them both being acanthurus.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Add the Achilles last they can get nasty. Or add them simultaneously. As long as the Achilles is one of the last fish added (can add with other tangs) you should be fine

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah powder blue are nasty. Lots and lots of tangs will reduce this problem and spread aggression but PBT are the nastiest of all tangs IMO
It's a powder brown though. Usually great fish but this one has it in for the blue regal. Nonstop

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a powder brown though. Usually great fish but this one has it in for the blue regal. Nonstop
Powder Browns can get almost just as nasty!

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea sailfin, purple, yellow belly blue, tomini, fowleri, and lieutenant in my 180. I have a reef octopus SRO3000 skimmer and refugium to help with the waste. I also have a 10' 475 gallon tank waiting to be set up cause I know these fish will need a bigger tank.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Brown
Powder Blue
Tomimi Tang
Orange Shoulder
White Ring Tang
Yellow Tang.
Two Naso Tangs
Yellow eye Kole
Have no problems
All in a 210.
Plus other fish

Last edited:

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_8213.jpeg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 210 has the same footprint as the standard 180, just taller. I’d still stick to only the smaller Zebrasoma species (not the Sailfins), any Bristletooth will be fine, and some of the Acanthurus that don’t get huge (Chocolate, Lavender, Japonicus, Gold Rim, PBT, Convict). No Naso, Sohal, or any that get pretty big.

The general consensus seems to be 3-4.

I’d do a smaller Zebrasoma, a Bristletooth, a smaller Acanthurus and maybe a Foxface.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 220 I have 4 tangs. Powder Blue, Lavender, Purple and Naso. The tangs get a long fine. No issues between them. However the Purple greatly dislikes and pesters my Racoon Butterfly and the Naso pesters my full grown Magnificent Foxface.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I got hippo, blonde naso, purple, powder blue, fox face… and other fish that aren’t tangs
Maybe I did too much ‍♂️

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back