How much lighting do I need?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm purchasing a 72x 24x 24 tank and plan for the aquarium to be SPS dominant. I'm interested in Ecotech lighting and thought that getting 3x XR 15s would be enough lighting for me. I talked to an expert and he recommended 4x XR30s. I will be using the eco-tech multi-light RMS to mount them. It seems as though the lights will somewhere around 7" from the top edge of the tank (according to Ecotech)

suggestions? Any help or opinions are welcome.
Get a 60" T5 hybrid and incorporate the xr15s and be done with it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of using halide + T5, but electricity – in the long run – will be an issue, correct? I mean, they look incredible, but they do use a lot more electricity
To me, on large tanks, Halides or T5s actually pencil out better.

4 Radion XR30s will cost you 3400 bucks. Each Fixture at max wattage will be about 200 watts.
3 250 watt halide will cost about 1000 bucks. Then about 200 bucks a year in bulbs, if you change them yearly.
60" T5 unit will cost 7-800 bucks, depending on 6 or 8 bulbs. Total watts of 480-640. Then 150-200 bucks a year in bulbs.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, on large tanks, Halides or T5s actually pencil out better.

4 Radion XR30s will cost you 3400 bucks. Each Fixture at max wattage will be about 200 watts.
3 250 watt halide will cost about 1000 bucks. Then about 200 bucks a year in bulbs, if you change them yearly.
60" T5 unit will cost 7-800 bucks, depending on 6 or 8 bulbs. Total watts of 480-640. Then 150-200 bucks a year in bulbs.
what about availability of products? LED technology is almost totally standard in all areas as a result of climate change and energy production. Am I going to require stocking up on halide bulbs (and whatever else), so I don't run out if they stop selling them? Or is that not much of a worry?

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems people like Reef Brite, for a hybrid halide/XHO. I figure I would need to buy 3 of these (15" long), since there doesn't seem to be a 72" version (if I'm wrong, please link it to me). But if there are other brands you prefer, set ups or otherwise, please list them. I will be putting this tank together soon. Excited. ;Woot

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about availability of products? LED technology is almost totally standard in all areas as a result of climate change and energy production. Am I going to require stocking up on halide bulbs (and whatever else), so I don't run out if they stop selling them? Or is that not much of a worry?
That's a good question. And I don't know for sure. The companies have said that they plan on making them as long as there is demand. ATI for example, sells tens of thousands of T5 bulbs a year. People have been talking about them going away forever. It could be that the government will ban them at some point, but I don't see that happening for the hobby market. Hard to say.

It seems people like Reef Brite, for a hybrid halide/XHO. I figure I would need to buy 3 of these (15" long), since there doesn't seem to be a 72" version (if I'm wrong, please link it to me). But if there are other brands you prefer, set ups or otherwise, please list them. I will be putting this tank together soon. Excited. ;Woot

BRS has 72" versions.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 Radion XR30 pros on my 72x27x24, and they did fine for 3 years. Recently I added another to help with coverage due to the huge colonies. This is how I set them up.

Now I have 4, oriented front to back, again with the pair of T5.

IMG_2157.JPG
Running them front to back will work especially with 4
I'm purchasing a 72x 24x 24 tank and plan for the aquarium to be SPS dominant. I'm interested in Ecotech lighting and thought that getting 3x XR 15s would be enough lighting for me. I talked to an expert and he recommended 4x XR30s. I will be using the eco-tech multi-light RMS to mount them. It seems as though the lights will somewhere around 7" from the top edge of the tank (according to Ecotech)

suggestions? Any help or opinions are welcome.
Hi, the 4 Radions will work, also look into the Mitra LX 7206 lights, both are about the same price.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 XR30s will be the minimum. At best they can do is 24x18 for a full SPS tank. That is over $3200 in just lights. I could crush that setup with a halide/LED combo and come in at less than $2000. That will include some "expensive" XHO bars.

3 - 250w Reef Brite pendants with either 14 or 20k bulbs and at least one 60" XHO bar. Set it and forget. Light will NEVER be an issue.

Some will claim heat and power and blah blah blah but here is the actual truth. The halides will run right around 750w, give you amazing spread, and the best spectrum available. The XHO can be run morning and night for a nice dusk/dawn effect. They won't heat up your tank unless your ambient temp is already 76+.

4 XR30s will need to be run pretty close to 100% equaling over 800w. Add another one and you are over 1000w. Here is the kicker, LEDs don't save you money in the long run. You can replace a LOT of bulbs with the $1200+ in savings.
Using a MH lighting system will definitely add heat to your tank if you are using a hood or live in the South, and that was the main reason I switch to LED. I live in South Florida and even without the hood, the chiller would run a long time on a daily bases. In the long run , with bulb changes and heat problems for my system, the cost was about the same, maybe less. One thing I do like about LED's is I can adjust the spectrum to whatever spectrum I want.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’d buy four xr30 g4 pros raised high above the tank. I’ve seen some go for $450 possibly cheaper if bundled

Reyco77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of using halide + T5, but electricity – in the long run – will be an issue, correct? I mean, they look incredible, but they do use a lot more electricity
I dont live in the usa... But i read about reef things all days. And ive heard that metal halides can spent too much electricity... But in winter and coldest months of 5he year, u will dsve money becaude u are not gonna use heaters.

Reyco77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

suggestions? Any help or opinions are welcome.why

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a MH lighting system will definitely add heat to your tank if you are using a hood or live in the South, and that was the main reason I switch to LED. I live in South Florida and even without the hood, the chiller would run a long time on a daily bases. In the long run , with bulb changes and heat problems for my system, the cost was about the same, maybe less. One thing I do like about LED's is I can adjust the spectrum to whatever spectrum I want.
I'm in Orange County, California. The funny thing about where I live is that my aquarium heaters turn on a lot more often than I ever would need a chiller. During the winter, when it gets too cold in my office, I just let my computer number crunch cures for cancers and other diseases (World Community Grid), Which raises the temperature in my office well enough to keep both tanks at 78°. Totally kills 2 birds!

Regarding MH, they would be raised above the tank by at least 12", but more likely 18". It would be nice to hide them, so they don't glare in your face when viewing the tank from a lower angle (I'm in a wheelchair). Since I would hang them from the ceiling, I'm thinking about building a wood box around the fixtures (outside the metal fixtures, so no fires). Heat would then go up through the bottom and out the top as normal. Into such a box, I can put fans as well. The net result should be, I would have a much more pleasing look.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 xr15 or 3 xr30 will do. My tank is about the same size, I am running 4 xr15, I can’t turn my lights up since it’s a mixed reef. Currently 35% top corals got about 120-150 par. Imagine if you turn them up to 70%, you should be able to get 300-400 pars.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of course every tank and setup is different. I use a hood and have no heat issues. My tank is also in a basement. Extra heat never hurts. Only helps in my case.

As for "choosing your own spectrum", that's a major negative in my book. Do you have a spectrometer to measure the changes? Do you know the proper spectrum for corals?

I would say 99% of hobbyists would have far better success if they didn't get to sit and manipulate LEDs

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back