How often do you feed flakes?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS, reef chili, and BRS pellets. pe flakes very rarely when im being lazy because they are easy. I say stick to the frozen foods you can make and add in reef roids or chili, selcon, and some quality pellets to trick the rest of the fish to eat the pellets.

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a little flake/pellet in the morning for the clowns and yellow watchman goby. In the evening, I feed them all frozen. The mandarin doesn't eat either though, just pods:rolleyes:

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in this! I'll be adding my first fish this weekend and I am reading a million and one different things on feeding ahaha. Want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
Whatever you do someone’s always going to say it sucks. Experiment and stick with what works for you.
Good luck

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know i do flakes and such as i have a lot of fresh tank and 1 salt
I didnt think sbout it till bow but yea dont do flake
Def make a foos from chooped sea critters from the store. Or shrimps. I have all this cause i feed my arowran clams and big mussles
Smart no reason i cant feed clowns and wrasse

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
4 times a day in my auto feeder as a supplement. When you have 34 fish in a given tank, it keeps them busy and nourished

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 5 minutes until someone passes out, then every seven minutes

Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next to never. Own flakes (and pellets) in desperate feeding attempts, though fish died. In my Hail Mary trying to prevent that, now own nearly every type of frozen food combo, brine shrimp hatchery, live California black worms shipped from Pennsylvania, freeze dried... more... I'm lucky my family loves me because I have so much freezer space now dedicated to fish food that human family has fewer ice cream/snacks/food. Fish rule! Humans drool!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your fish right from the grocery. Clams, shrimp, mussels etc.
WILD CAUGHT Gents! Other than the mussels, rope grown, all good , buying a bag of PEI Mussels again tomorrow for dirt cheap up here half for the wife and I , other half for the tank lol. The Newfoundland mussels come in spring/summer and just as tasty.....

tinhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix bag for me. I've gone for a week with only feeding flake and Nori. Usually it is flake twice a day (omega one kelp) and frozen in the evening. Tank is healthy, fish and corals are happy, fat and growing and I have zero algae issues..... Only one fish that spits the flake...my picky pajama cardinal. All other wrasses, clowns, damsels, tangs, basslets, chromis and angles love it.

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most important thing is NOT to overfeed dry food. There are tons of nutrients in the dry food and it will cause algae issues especially if you lack a good clean up crew as well. Fishes have very little stomachs dont let them fool you when they beg for food lol I usually go for frozen as well! :)

Robb FH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal has always been to feed a variety. Each meal I try to do something different than the previous (frozen, fresh, freeze dried, pellets, Nori, flakes, etc...) A few times a week I'll soak in Selcon or Garlic. But the question is about flakes. I think flakes get a a bad rep. A new tank can have nutrient problems if you use flakes exclusively. But most of my fish go crazy for flakes and over the years there have been some stretches of time (several weeks or more) where I've relied on flakes for the convenience factor and my fish have seemed just as healthy as usual during those times. Just remember, like the package says, don't feed more than your fish consume in a few minutes!
I mostly use OSI brand.

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed everything. Garlic enriched flakes, veggi pellets, food pellets, frozen for fish and coral, powder.
I think balance is necessary.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back