How often do you feed flakes?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically feed my fish twice a day, and have been trying a variety of frozen foods (including "home blends") on them. Live foods are harder to get, but I do feed them roe a few times a week. Nothing I've, tried, however, gets a better feeding response than flakes. I'm sure it's the equivalent of junk food, so I try not to feed them it more than three or four times per week. How many of you rely upon flakes extensively?

Hawk23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in this! I'll be adding my first fish this weekend and I am reading a million and one different things on feeding ahaha. Want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed flakes that I can remember. I've tried a few pellets but I don't really care for those. LRS only for me.
I save the pellets for my diamond goby. The rest of the fish seem to think that they're Christmas fruit cakes and just stare at them as they sink to the bottom.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets once a week just for some of the added nutrients. Otherwise combo of frozen and live only.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I didn't even know they made flakes for saltwater
Omega One Marine F(l)akes: "A nutritious mix of seafood ingredients is combined with the optimal amount of spirulina to make this an excellent diet for the community saltwater tank. A strong Omega 3 Fatty Acid profile supports the delicate immune systems of saltwater fish while garlic provides incredible palatability and parasite resistance."

It was an add-on item on Amazon Canada! I thought I'd try it out, as the price is cheap and I live in the middle of the boreal forest with no LFS, so feeding options are limited.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish love the flakes and the differences in sizes suits all of them. I will feed a few pellets than flakes. And for dinner brine shrimp

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed your fish right from the grocery. Clams, shrimp, mussels etc.
"Fresh" selections are limited to (old) fish here. No, wait -- I did see mussels in the shell a couple of months ago, but I didn't have fish at the time. I do make my own mixes from frozen seafood.

Back