how old should a tank be before you start having corals?

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard various things about when should you wait before putting corals in. Some people said that you have to wait and make sure all parameters are good for 1-2 months but I also heard other people that says 2-3 weeks is fine. What are your thoughts on this?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with some basics and see if your tank is ready depending on how you set up dry rock or live rock it could be 2 wks or 2 mos. Want to let the micro fauna establish b4 adding but there are plenty of people that might disagree

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I heard various things about when should you wait before putting corals in. Some people said that you have to wait and make sure all parameters are good for 1-2 months but I also heard other people that says 2-3 weeks is fine. What are your thoughts on this?
Too many variables to give a solid answer. Here would be the first questions I'd have, first is this your first tank, second is what corals. I started my first tank just over a year ago and I put in corals right away, but I had worked cleaning and maintaining salt water aquariums for a couple years and waited a long time before getting my own. I watched and read everything for a couple of years before getting into the hobby myself.

That being said, I liked the ReefBuilder video they did adding corals right away. I think it does send the wrong message to people though, and unless you can afford loses or test religiously, I'd expect people that do this to exit the hobby in the first year.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Einstein determined that time is relative—in other words, the rate at which time passes depends on your frame of reference"
Seriously now-2-3 weeks is too short even if you are using live rock. I would wait more like 6 weeks minimum with live rock and few month with dry rock. Many regards establishment of coralline algae as first sign that your tank is ready for corals.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you trust someone like Jake Adams from reef builders, then coral can go in technically before a tank cycles. This is because the corals do not have blood and etc so ammonia and things do not affect them like they would fish. On the other hand, he knew what was required and could react accordingly to solve problems in a new tank that many of us may not.

The harder to grow corals are harder because they are much more sensitive to changes in lights and water chemistry. So personally there is no way I’d start with those. On the flip side, some corals thrive in higher nutrients and so called dirty water and I would not worry so much. Soft corals like leathers, and Gsp and some cheaper zoas. I say cheaper because if they are cheap, chances are they grow very well and quickly. These corals are probably going to handle most new systems in my opinion.

for what it’s worth, I waited almost 3 months before I added a couple of clowns and a few corals on my first tank. My new build will progress much quicker. It is yet to be determined if that will be good or bad ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your setup, process, and coral type.

If you seed with established rock. Quicker.
Dry rock- longer
Easy coral- sooner
Hard coral- longer
What would be your estimate for dry rock and easy coral (pulsing xenia, GSP, or hammer)
I also am planning to use fritz turbostart and Fritz fishless fuel (ammonia in a bottle) to speed up the cycling part

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many variables to give a solid answer. Here would be the first questions I'd have, first is this your first tank, second is what corals. I started my first tank just over a year ago and I put in corals right away, but I had worked cleaning and maintaining salt water aquariums for a couple years and waited a long time before getting my own. I watched and read everything for a couple of years before getting into the hobby myself.

That being said, I liked the ReefBuilder video they did adding corals right away. I think it does send the wrong message to people though, and unless you can afford loses or test religiously, I'd expect people that do this to exit the hobby in the first year.
This is my first saltwater tank (I've had freshwater tanks for 10+ years). I am planning to get soft/LPS corals such as pulsing xenia, GSP, or hammers. I have been reading/watching saltwater content for a couple of years as well, but the the people that I've watched always put their corals in immediately (I'm assuming this is because they're "experts"), so that's why I'm still asking for clarification.

My tank has dry rock (not live) and I am planning on using fritz turbostart (beneficial bacteria) and Fritz fishless fuel (ammonia in a bottle) to speed up the cycling process a bit. How long do you think I should wait before adding the corals in as an estimate?

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friend,
I think you'll find alot of mixed answers on this topic. Many have already mentioned really great point when discussing the biome.
If I'm starting a dry rock tank, Im waiting 6 months after I introduced my fish.
If I'm starting from Live Rock, I'm waiting 3 months after the introduction of fish.
Of course, I check to ensure my parameters are in check, and I add softie and LPS corals in slowly with time, giving a few weeks before adding in any new purchase(s)
If Im considering an SPS tank, I like to wait 8months to a year

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every day I read a post on this site about a tank less than six months old going downhill. And when you see the pictures it’s usually obvious they’re trying to do to much to fast.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back