How sensitive are fish to sound?

samrggzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is in the same room as my record player which I use quite frequently. Most of the records I play are louder punk records and was wondering if this could have a negative impact on the fish? I know fish are sensitive to sound in some capacity but is it something I should be worried about enough to move my record player?

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is in the same room as my record player which I use quite frequently. Most of the records I play are louder punk records and was wondering if this could have a negative impact on the fish? I know fish are sensitive to sound in some capacity but is it something I should be worried about enough to move my record player?

Depends on the genre of music. If your Pajama Cardinals begin sagging their Pajamas then a negative impact could result if the rest of your fish community follow.

In all seriousness, probably depends on the frequency and SPL at the frequency. If tapping on glass can stress fish then I suppose 60-180hz at 135 decibels could negatively impact your fish.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever been in the water around a reef? It's not quiet.

Some mammals (Dolphins and Whales) sing or create sounds (clicks) to communicate. Never researched whether such animals use sound to impact other fish or whether fish might prey on others if heard (cracking coral). A point of interest sound travels faster in water. However, if fish do not have ears audio impact might be observed because sound pressure can be "felt." For example I've observed "deaf" persons dance if music was played loud enough at certain frequencies. Schools of fish sometimes move as one organism/body obviously not relying on visual alone but perhaps each individual fish can feel movement of surrounding fish. If so, then sound pressure might effect fish (hypothesis) and visual might work to confuse (angelic defense). Be amazing if schools could not only confuse other fish but turn off visual and rely/operate on other sensory organs.

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think the same thing when I was young, to the point that when I drove a new fish home from the lfs I wouldn't blast the radio. Well it never killed any and didn't effect them at home. So let it be loud!

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think the same thing when I was young, to the point that when I drove a new fish home from the lfs I wouldn't blast the radio. Well it never killed any and didn't effect them at home. So let it be loud!

How young HB Al? :)
Loud might be relative or whether type of sound received was positive or negative. For example, the or if not loudest measured machines on earth were space shuttles. At 180+ db million or so gallons of water was released at launch to disperse/refract/and absorb sound waves. Without the release of sound dampening both shuttle and launch pad crumble or disintegrate. Sound is sound or frequencies suppose words are words too.

I remember at certain frequencies before birth I'd communicate with my child while in the womb. My child kicked at times (hope joyfully) when I played music. Of course and perhaps this is off topic but I do not doubt an audible voice of both mother and father might be known before birth. Yes, I found pregnancy of interest and was worried about my child's mental/intellectual stimulation in early development :) Comprehension... .

Lastly, if at certain frequencies "light" (UV) kills various micro-organisms perhaps sound might be no different for various or more developed life forms. Does light and sound go hand and hand (stars sing)?

Enjoy

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op brought up loud Punk music, if placed near the space shuttle at take off the tank would "dissappear", melt, disintegrate. Ive experienced while fishing at San Clemente Island "owned by the Navy" 60 miles off the SoCal coast extremely loud bombing of the island and the fish just keep on doing there thing whether watching them swim around below the boat or reeling them in as they just keep on feeding.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op brought up loud Punk music, if placed near the space shuttle at take off the tank would "dissappear", melt, disintegrate. Ive experienced while fishing at San Clemente Island "owned by the Navy" 60 miles off the SoCal coast extremely loud bombing of the island and the fish just keep on doing there thing whether watching them swim around below the boat or reeling them in as they just keep on feeding.

Meanwhile Octopus are observed sensing 8hz or below. Divers observed Octo scurrying away before volcanic eruptions unknown at the time by divers around islands. Octo behavior was early warning indication (seismic through water medium).

Humans too do their own things at times unawares often of impact. I suppose when underwater atomic/nuclear testing was conducted fish had kept doing their own thing (belly up.) :) Also consider negative impacts of sonar on various aquatic communities/pods etc. Research for land animals continues, for example, cell phone / wifi impact on insects (bees etc) at certain frequencies.

Note: Amazing how eggs are found and light occurs at conception.

Do not sleep close by your cellphone :)

Enjoy

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, I can attest that when we have an earthquake say above 3.0 "fealable" and we go fishing wether in fresh or saltwater the fish stop feeding in big proportions for a couple days!

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, I can attest that when we have an earthquake say above 3.0 "fealable" and we go fishing wether in fresh or saltwater the fish stop feeding in big proportions for a couple days!

If appetite can be adversely effected can appetite be positively stimulated (emitting/sonar lures)?
Light is both wave (frequency) and particle does light effect aquatic feeding behavior?
Perhaps some fish are more appetizing to others (unknown).

Enjoy HB AL

Last edited:

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound seems like something fish acclimate to. At first when I put new speakers in my office the fish would hide when speakers came on. Now they don't react. It would still probably have an effect if it were after lights out though

I suppose our minds function similarly. For example, visual sensory I do not see my nose though my nose is in optical view - a filter per say. Who or what can or cannot be made inaudible or invisible whether for defense or by callousness.

Curious, does random tapping on glass stress fish or is some rhythmic tapping pleasurable?
Do Dolphins enjoy each others laugh?

Enjoy

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read in articles and heard in documentaries, the ocean is a very loud place. Some animals themselves are loud, but the ocean is full of man made machines and vessels. And water is a conductor for sound, so any noise will travel far.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read in articles and heard in documentaries, the ocean is a very loud place. Some animals themselves are loud, but the ocean is full of man made machines and vessels. And water is a conductor for sound, so any noise will travel far.

Yes, water or firmaments. Type of water or mix conducts not only sound but electricity.
For example early warning fire detection can utilize salt in a tube/bladder in distilled water. At different melting points an inside tube/bladder of salt can be designed for salt release in distilled water conducting electricity setting off fire/heat warning systems.
If 2/3rds of 2/3rds more water exists below surface or crust I suppose earth's refugium can be a noisy place.
Anybody estimate sump/fug pump volume/pressure (springs) :smiling-face-with-halo:
Suppose surface area and/or volume of atmosphere as well time to fill might be necessary.
Water can also function as an insulator.
Half full or empty :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If appetite can be adversely effected can appetite be positively stimulated (emitting/sonar lures)?
Light is both wave (frequency) and particle does light effect aquatic feeding behavior?
Perhaps some fish are more appetizing to others (unknown).

Enjoy HB AL
Oh ya, I've fished for fun and professionally and all of the above plus other natural factors always determine if your gonna have a good day or not, our fish react exactly the same.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, loud 'punk' music would disturb the Hell out of me, so it may well also disturb your fish.

Try switching to Mozart. Or Debussy's La Mer, that might make them feel more at home. ;)

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya, I've fished for fun and professionally and all of the above plus other natural factors always determine if your gonna have a good day or not, our fish react exactly the same.

Either way most enjoyable I hope.
Imagine some fish under water see a lure and say I've seen this hull before.
Watch this while other unsuspecting fish approach.
How far does environmental adaptation develop?
And if adaptation occurs is adaptation reciprocal?
For example, expose certain insects (cockroaches) to chemicals long enough and such insects build immunity. After a time of cessation of any chemicals roaches lose immunity.
Not only insects but human immune systems function similarly.
Not all environments are same and maybe fish vary IQ.
How does anybody conduct an intelligence/adaptation test on fish! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Whether or not fisherman are outwitted? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Do fish stereotype?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back