How should I Keep Calc & ALK in a smaller tank

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am newer to reefing (about 6 months). I want to start trying to keep some SPS corals in my tank, Ive been successful with softies and a few LPS corals. I have a 40g IM nuvo fusion. I've been keeping track of my elements the last few weeks, and have very little swing (i'm guessing that is because of water changes and that I have no corals absorbing lots of calcium). My question is how should i dose my Calc and ALK. Should I be dosing 2 parts, I use fritz salt and saw they have a dosing system; Kalkwasser or dose in some other way. Also how would you dose, Manually or with a dosing pump?

I'm sure this question has been asked before a million times...

Thanks in advance for any advice

Jack Sparrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a new reefer myself but what I use is Instant Ocean reef accelerator, it will boost calcium magnesium strontium iodine and other Trace elements instructions are on the bottle and it's cheap, happy reefing!

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am newer to reefing (about 6 months). I want to start trying to keep some SPS corals in my tank, Ive been successful with softies and a few LPS corals. I have a 40g IM nuvo fusion. I've been keeping track of my elements the last few weeks, and have very little swing (i'm guessing that is because of water changes and that I have no corals absorbing lots of calcium). My question is how should i dose my Calc and ALK. Should I be dosing 2 parts, I use fritz salt and saw they have a dosing system; Kalkwasser or dose in some other way. Also how would you dose, Manually or with a dosing pump?

I'm sure this question has been asked before a million times...

Thanks in advance for any advice
I have a 32g that is about six months old and I just set up a dosing pump using BRS two part this weekend. I had been manually dosing twice a day, but as my dosing needs started to level off I figured I'd go with a pump. I'm going to be checking it a few times a day because it's such a small tank. but before I hooked it up directly to the tank and ran it for a few days into some Jars and then added to the tank just to make sure that the pump was working properly and dialing in my dose volumes.

Some Ppl use kalkwasser in an ATO also, I still manually top off so am not doing that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser in ato top off container has to be the easiest I think.

I think its a great method and used it for 20 years, but if often cannot keep up in an SPS tank. :)

OP
OP
Fighter_of_Foo

Fighter_of_Foo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. I’m leaning towards Kakwasser, I’ll post what I decide. Again thanks for the suggestions and links!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back