How should I Keep Calc & ALK in a smaller tank

Fighter_of_Foo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2017
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am newer to reefing (about 6 months). I want to start trying to keep some SPS corals in my tank, Ive been successful with softies and a few LPS corals. I have a 40g IM nuvo fusion. I've been keeping track of my elements the last few weeks, and have very little swing (i'm guessing that is because of water changes and that I have no corals absorbing lots of calcium). My question is how should i dose my Calc and ALK. Should I be dosing 2 parts, I use fritz salt and saw they have a dosing system; Kalkwasser or dose in some other way. Also how would you dose, Manually or with a dosing pump?

I'm sure this question has been asked before a million times...

Thanks in advance for any advice
 
I am a new reefer myself but what I use is Instant Ocean reef accelerator, it will boost calcium magnesium strontium iodine and other Trace elements instructions are on the bottle and it's cheap, happy reefing!
 
I am newer to reefing (about 6 months). I want to start trying to keep some SPS corals in my tank, Ive been successful with softies and a few LPS corals. I have a 40g IM nuvo fusion. I've been keeping track of my elements the last few weeks, and have very little swing (i'm guessing that is because of water changes and that I have no corals absorbing lots of calcium). My question is how should i dose my Calc and ALK. Should I be dosing 2 parts, I use fritz salt and saw they have a dosing system; Kalkwasser or dose in some other way. Also how would you dose, Manually or with a dosing pump?

I'm sure this question has been asked before a million times...

Thanks in advance for any advice
I have a 32g that is about six months old and I just set up a dosing pump using BRS two part this weekend. I had been manually dosing twice a day, but as my dosing needs started to level off I figured I'd go with a pump. I'm going to be checking it a few times a day because it's such a small tank. but before I hooked it up directly to the tank and ran it for a few days into some Jars and then added to the tank just to make sure that the pump was working properly and dialing in my dose volumes.

Some Ppl use kalkwasser in an ATO also, I still manually top off so am not doing that.
 
Kalkwasser in ato top off container has to be the easiest I think.

I think its a great method and used it for 20 years, but if often cannot keep up in an SPS tank. :)
 
Thanks for all the info. I’m leaning towards Kakwasser, I’ll post what I decide. Again thanks for the suggestions and links!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new