How should you introduce a second flasher wrasse?

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellowfin and just introduced a blue. I initially put the blue in a shroom box to do a social acclimation but they both seemed totally disinterested in each other so I let it out after a couple hours. Shortly after the yellow fin was chasing it all over and forced it into a little gap between the overflow box and the side of the tank. This was about 2 hours before normal lights out so I killed the lights and left them that way until this morning. When the lights came on the yellow fin was chasing it around again so I was able to catch the blue and put it back in the shroom box. Any advice? Should I keep it in the box for a couple days?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went through the same thing recently with a pintail and royal flasher. After releasing them from the acclimation box, my line spot was a complete d!@& to both, but the pintail was able to hold his own and the line spot left him alone, but the royal was another story. First, it was just flashing and circling from the line spot, then came the physical attacks. I tried to catch the line spot to give him a time out, but it was easier to catch the royal and take him back. I was going to put him back in the box, but when other fish joined in with the line spot at bullying him, (my clowns and lawnmover) I needed to get him to safety. This happened over a day and a half.
You can try to catch the YF and put him in the box or ride it out and see if it gets better? I wouldn't let it go for very long or it may be too late? Hopefully it ends better than my situation. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Ds04384

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there will be any way to catch the yellow fin without taking the tank apart. The yellow has been all over the acclimation box today and the blue has been alert and keeping an eye on him too. I’ll let this play out for ~3 days and see how it’s looking. That’s the current plan at least but I’m very inexperienced at this so I welcome other advice.

948adf6c8c87f5233bb51f8751d6290a.jpg

Mark344

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local LFS told me that they put in the stank several long pvc pipes just enough to fit in the tank to scare the bullies. They left the pipes for 2 days and it worked.

OP
OP
Ds04384

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still watching closely but the yellow fin seems much less aggressive now. I was able to catch this display shortly releasing the blue

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back