How to acclimate T5s?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad #reefsquadleader

I've added some T5s back to my system. T5s added about 30-60% par when briefly checked with par meter, depending location in the tank. Here is what I was thinking for options of how to do this. Highest point in rock work with sps would go from 440 to 600 par eventually.

Option 1- reduce my SKY's, so T5s being on match coral's current par level. Then week by week increase the SKY's back to their current setting.

Option 2- Leave SKY's at their current levels. Make T5s schedule start at 30 minutes on. Following with each week adding 30-60minutes, to eventually get back to a full photo period.

Thoughts?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've added some T5s back to my system. T5s added about 30-60% par when briefly checked with par meter, depending location in the tank. Here is what I was thinking for options of how to do this. Highest point in rock work with sps would go from 440 to 600 par eventually.

Option 1- reduce my SKY's, so T5s being on match coral's current par level. Then week by week increase the SKY's back to their current setting.

Option 2- Leave SKY's at their current levels. Make T5s schedule start at 30 minutes on. Following with each week adding 30-60minutes, to eventually get back to a full photo period.

Thoughts?
Few thoughts.
turn off a set of t5.
Lower the intensity of led
Raise fixture and slowly lower it over time
Remove bulbs or bulbs and over time add them one at a time.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few thoughts.
turn off a set of t5.
Lower the intensity of led
Raise fixture and slowly lower it over time
Remove bulbs or bulbs and over time add them one at a time.
I have restrictions with beam above tank. I can't raise and lower fixtures easily. They would need to stay in their fixed locations

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Either way would work IMO.
Does the Sky have a acclimation program? Like Radion? If it does, drop back the intensity and run it back to full power over 2-3 weeks. Run the T5's at full schedule.
Option 2 will work, but, go with a little longer with the T5's to start with.
I would go a hour and ramp it up a hour each week.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just start with 2-4hrs a day and add 30 minutes to an hour each week. It's much easier to add old school lighting to LED. Add the T5's during the peak hours of your LED's schedule.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
What I did was basically swapped spectrum at first. Kept par the same by lowering led intensity then put the led intensity on an acclimation mode to bring it up to what par I wanted. I have also used the start for 2 hours on time of t5s and then up the time ok every week. Currently my t5s are just for added spectrum because I'm not a fan of white leds.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back