How to control parameters on nano tank

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval five gallon tank which I really enjoy but the parameters are all over the place. Would anyone know how to better control the parameters? Also, would a protein skimmer help with this problem?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problem? What parameters are out of control? What are you trying to keep?
Water changes should be sufficient for anything but sps corals.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, water changes which will be easy on that size tank.
Good luck

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problem? What parameters are out of control? What are you trying to keep?
Water changes should be sufficient for anything but sps corals.
The problem is nitrates, calcium, and magnesium. I have two clownfish and a few small coral frags, mostly beginner ones. I do water changes often but my aquariums parameters change in the matter of hours. Like once I did a series of water changes till my nitrate levels were really low, but the next week they were back up. I just don’t really know what else I could do to keep them down. Maybe a protein skimmer?

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is nitrates, calcium, and magnesium. I have two clownfish and a few small coral frags, mostly beginner ones. I do water changes often but my aquariums parameters change in the matter of hours. Like once I did a series of water changes till my nitrate levels were really low, but the next week they were back up. I just don’t really know what else I could do to keep them down. Maybe a protein skimmer?
Two clowns in a 5 gallon will definitely cause your nitrates to fluctuate rapidly. Setting aside the fact that keeping two clowns in such a small tank isn't good husbandry in general, a skimmer will help remove some of the waste in your tank (which would be a source of nitrates). However, I don't think it's possible to find a skimmer for a 5 gallon tank that will both fit in the tank and address this issue.

Something else is likely going on if you are also experiencing calcium and magnesium swings. A few small frags probably wouldn't cause these swings.

Either way, your best bet is to get rid of the clowns and verify the accuracy of the test kits.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your water mixed? How much do you mix at a time?Imo saltwater needs enough time to properly mix, that might be 20 minutes, might be 24hrs depending on brand. If it’s not mixed thoroughly it could be causing issues with changing levels of mag and calcium, also if the salt mix is settled out in the bag you can get pockets of high or low trace elements. So it’s best to mix up the dry salt before you use it to keep the elements all mixed up properly.

and imo refractometers in my experience need to be calibrated pretty much every time you use them. I went to a glass hydrometer to get away from
Calibration. mixing weekly small batches is going to be - depending on how consistent you are in your method - can have varied results batch to batch, which also results in swings. I always recommend having a larger container (if you have room) to make and store enough water for a few weeks, keeps your parameters more stable.

nitrates are going to be harder to control imo as it’s a small volume and basically after ever feed or maintenance item performed your going to be changing that balance with a swing up or down.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do y’all think I should have in the tank instead of the clownfish
In 5 gallons you could have some cool small inverts, like sexy shrimp, pom pom crabs, etc. Some people will do a single very small fish like a yellow clown goby, but I'd wait to see how your parameters do with no fish to decide if it can handle the bioload at all.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back