How to corral ricordea?

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob mistake. I put some ricordea on my main rockwork and they are spreading. (Surprise) I glued in a ledge above them to try and keep them from irritating the RFA above. Now they are growing into the pagoda cup.
Anyone have any tips for controlling where they grow? My rock is very porous and it's about impossible to remove them. I could use some more rubble and build a wall, but would like to have another method of control if possible.
16379561894048028104368883961274.jpg

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob mistake. I put some ricordea on my main rockwork and they are spreading. (Surprise) I glued in a ledge above them to try and keep them from irritating the RFA above. Now they are growing into the pagoda cup.
Anyone have any tips for controlling where they grow? My rock is very porous and it's about impossible to remove them. I could use some more rubble and build a wall, but would like to have another method of control if possible.
16379561894048028104368883961274.jpg
Nice reef! You are no longer a noob!
Ricordea is tough to peel off rock. But be aggressive and chop and scrape frequently. A little ricordea juice released into the tank every now and then won’t hurt. Otherwise isolating via surrounding rock work is the only thing I can think of. And they do release themselves and settle elsewhere at times.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice reef! You are no longer a noob!
Ricordea is tough to peel off rock. But be aggressive and chop and scrape frequently. A little ricordea juice released into the tank every now and then won’t hurt. Otherwise isolating via surrounding rock work is the only thing I can think of. And they do release themselves and settle elsewhere at times.
Yes, squirting is inevitable. Watch your eyes!

Ricordea florida also 'walk' like anemones, just really slowly, so you be able to make a rubble wall, and as they walk onto the rubble, you can remove them.

You could try to get a razor and slice them as close to the foot as possible. I have done this in the past and had decent success rate, but still lost around ~20%.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I ended up doing a rubble wall as you described. Actually ended up doing a whole bunch of work in the tank this week. Had my second Currentusa pump manifold quit on me, so I replaced the two I had with an MP40. The change in flow required a little rearranging of the tank, but I think it's going to work out better anyway. I'll get some pics later.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back