how to fix leaking bulkhead?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an Eshopps Eclipse L overflow and I can not get this thing to stop leaking.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps...MIruvu9KzA1gIVimF-Ch0kmgEAEAQYAyABEgKTmPD_BwE

At first it was leaking from all bulkheads. I tried multiple levels of tightness on the bulkhead nuts. I ended up buying all new bulkheads for the rear box and that stopped the leaks coming from the bottom.

Now the problem I cant figure out is how to stop the small drips coming from the big bulkheads that connect the two boxes. It is basically impossible to get to the side inside the slim box because they are installed and the oveflow is built around it. So Replacing them is out of the question without cutting up the box. Again i tried adjusting the tightness of the nuts from snug, to hand tight, to as tight as i could go. still drips between the two boxes down the back of the tank. I also took it apart and tried putting a little bit of 100% silicone plumbers grease on the seals that i could get to. Still has a small but constant drip.

I am about out of ideas on how to seal this thing up without taking a tube of silicone to the bulkhead holes...

If anyone has and ideas I am all ears. I have already cut my plumbing up 3x to try and stop this thing from dripping so I can move my fish and corals into the new tank.

My tank is drilled for this overflow and if i cant get it to work then basically wasted the $100 for this overflow and have a useless tank with holes in it :(

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How cleanly did you drill the holes? Is there any chips around the hole edges? Does the Eshopps overflow have a dounle gasket for the exterior box? Assuming you've tried everything else I'd recommend cleaning the glass thoroughly and trying to find a slightly thicker gasket and tightening it with some channel locks. The channel locks should be used just because your hand might not be able to fit or have the leverage to do "hand tight" in that box. Don't overtighten.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the gasket/rubber seal on the flange of the bulkhead on the inside of the tank? Going too tight can also damage the gasket and cause it to not work properly, make sure there are not stress, pinches, or cracks in the gasket.

You could also have a not perfectly strait hole in the side of your tank that is creating a gap for water to come through, in which case silicone may be the best solution.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the gasket/rubber seal on the flange of the bulkhead on the inside of the tank? Going too tight can also damage the gasket and cause it to not work properly, make sure there are not stress, pinches, or cracks in the gasket.

You could also have a not perfectly strait hole in the side of your tank that is creating a gap for water to come through, in which case silicone may be the best solution.

Yeah there are 3 gaskets on each of the larger bulkheads. 1 on the inside of the overflow weir, one between the overflow weir and the tank and one on the inside of the back box between the nut and the acrylic. the gaskets aren't damaged but they just don't seem to be of very high quality, not very thick or sturdy.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do end up having to silicone this thing to high hell, should I leave the gaskets where they belong and silicone around all the holes that have potential to leak or should I remove the gaskets and lay the silicone heavy and let that be the gasket?

Its pretty permanent once I go down that road...

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How cleanly did you drill the holes? Is there any chips around the hole edges? Does the Eshopps overflow have a dounle gasket for the exterior box? Assuming you've tried everything else I'd recommend cleaning the glass thoroughly and trying to find a slightly thicker gasket and tightening it with some channel locks. The channel locks should be used just because your hand might not be able to fit or have the leverage to do "hand tight" in that box. Don't overtighten.

It does have a gasket "inside" the exterior box between the nut and the box too. And you are right it is definitely an awkward grip and very tight with my hands inside the box. I'll give the channel locks a shot. How tight past what I am able to do by hand would you say is "overtightened".... quarter turn good enough or half turn?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I do end up having to silicone this thing to high hell, should I leave the gaskets where they belong and silicone around all the holes that have potential to leak or should I remove the gaskets and lay the silicone heavy and let that be the gasket?

Its pretty permanent once I go down that road...

Interesting to see this thread this morning. I'm waiting for my eclipse overflow box to come today.
Not sure how cheap the gaskets are, but maybe replacing them with better ones might work.
Also, if you use silicone, it isn't permanent.
I've used silicone around the glass holes before in addition to the gaskets. It's not the best solution but it may help.
Just try and keep it off the threads.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does have a gasket "inside" the exterior box between the nut and the box too. And you are right it is definitely an awkward grip and very tight with my hands inside the box. I'll give the channel locks a shot. How tight past what I am able to do by hand would you say is "overtightened".... quarter turn good enough or half turn?
I'd start with the quarter turn.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to see this thread this morning. I'm waiting for my eclipse overflow box to come today.
Not sure how cheap the gaskets are, but maybe replacing them with better ones might work.
Also, if you use silicone, it isn't permanent.
I've used silicone around the glass holes before in addition to the gaskets. It's not the best solution but it may help.
Just try and keep it off the threads.

Well let me know how it goes when you install it. I have seen others that didn't seem to have an issue, or maybe they just didn't speak up..who knows. but either way I can't return mine for another unit because when I mocked up the template to drill the holes I jammed it up under the lip of my tank a little bit because all of the reviews I saw on this box say the water level is a little low. Long story short the box didn't fit inside my tank by 1/4" so i had to dremel the top a little to make it fit. So if you have a rimmed tank make sure the template is flush with the rim. also even though I trimmed the top of my box to make it sit a little higher in the tank the water level is still UNDER the tank trim :( So if I ever get this thing to stop dripping then I will be building a canopy to cover the water line.

bluescion.dg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your me you just tighten it passed the point your afraid to break your tank because you're so fed up.... My plumbing leaked everywhere when I was fresh water testing it was like 2 months of a half set up tank I was so irritated lol... Guess that's why they call it Learning

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same overflow (Eshopps Eclipse L) and was leaking on my leak test. I believe I was going thru the same as you....couldn't get it tight and was leaking like crazy.
I did it WeirFlange==>Gasket==>Weir Box==>Glass==>Gasket==>Overflow Box==>Gasket==>Nut.
After reading the install manual very closely... It is not super intuitive.
It is suppose to be WeirFlange==>Gasket==>Weir Box==>Glass==>Gasket==>Gasket==>Box==>Nut
No gasket in between nut and box.
After fixing it you can certainly tighten even to the point of breaking glass.

Now, after correcting this, no leaks for 3 hours of running. I have not refilled for cycle to confirm. That will be this weekend!! Yay but nervous.lol
20170925_174940.jpg

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same overflow (Eshopps Eclipse L) and was leaking on my leak test. I believe I was going thru the same as you....couldn't get it tight and was leaking like crazy.
I did it WeirFlange==>Gasket==>Weir Box==>Glass==>Gasket==>Overflow Box==>Gasket==>Nut.
After reading the install manual very closely... It is not super intuitive.
It is suppose to be WeirFlange==>Gasket==>Weir Box==>Glass==>Gasket==>Gasket==>Box==>Nut
No gasket in between nut and box.
After fixing it you can certainly tighten even to the point of breaking glass.

Now, after correcting this, no leaks for 3 hours of running. I have not refilled for cycle to confirm. That will be this weekend!! Yay but nervous.lol
20170925_174940.jpg

So they want you to stack the two gaskets on top of each other on each bulkhead right? Gasket on gasket. I don't get why they wouldn't just have a thicker gasket. Well I'll give that a try and I'll report back!

Thanks for pointing that out Chris

Chris Wells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they want you to stack the two gaskets on top of each other on each bulkhead right? Gasket on gasket. I don't get why they wouldn't just have a thicker gasket. Well I'll give that a try and I'll report back!

Thanks for pointing that out Chris

Yes, I just took a flashlight and checked it out. It looks like their flange (The one you can't get to in the weir) on the inside is doubled up as well...or thicker.

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be to increase the gap between tank and box to limit interference.
Of course using silicone on the bulkhead if it comes down to it. This is not permanent by any means. It is not correct per say since the gasket should hold and be leak free. Easy to still take apart if needed. You do not want a gasket on the nut side. It will just bind on the nut when it is spinning. Really want a washer to be on nut size like an industrial bulkhead. So the washer spins and not the gasket on the head. Ive done alot of bulkheads and you will always find one that needs silicone on a fish tank. Slap some cone and call it. No body will know and a razor will remove it from glass when time comes to replace. Ive used sch 80 and 40, both have issues. Sch 40 will crack if over-tighten. Also check that you are finding the leak correctly. Ive replaced one, to find out it was the wrong one ;). Being a tech is fun and easy ;) I am perfect ;)

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I just took a flashlight and checked it out. It looks like their flange (The one you can't get to in the weir) on the inside is doubled up as well...or thicker.

Well Chris I owe you a beer my man! [emoji482] You have fixed the problem that has been driving me insane for the last two weeks. (Reading the instructions could have saved me the headache in the first place).

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I think I will have one right now!

I am going to join you! Cheers brotha.

It really just doesn't make sense in my mind why there's no gasket between the overflow box and the tank glass.

Thanks again Chris, you have no idea how badly that was ticking me off..... well actually I guess you do since you went through the same process.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I had to contact them because their instructions are a bit vague LOL. How hard would it have been to have included a diagram? Geez. Love my Eshopps Eclipse L. Works great - but those instructions. ARRRGGHHH. Glad you got it fixed I was just going to post. Cheers!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.0%
Back