How to get goby and pistol shrimp front of tank

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get a watchman (or any kind) goby and pistol shrimp to dig at the front of the tank? I'm getting a Red Sea Reefer 750 and I'd hate it if they end up at the back of my tank and I never get to see the pair...

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're gonna do what they're gonna do. I set my tank up with all rocks on pvc risers (you can't see them as I covered with purple tinted E-Marco 400). The only really good spot for them was a rock I left lower and with a small natural cave. Even then I had to 'shoo' them away from a couple spots (just moved the rock carefully) before they settled in. But larger established tank - not sure there's much to do. Even if you get them where you want, they'll move if not optimal for them.

That was YWG and Tiger Pistol and those were my first. They are both larger than average for the shrimp/goby pairs.

The little red banded snapping shrimp and Yasha goby I replaced them with simply dissappeared after adding them to tank. I've caught a glimpse of them occassionally but not very often maybe 3 times since added. That's been 6 months ago.

dochou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of YWG and Tiger Pistol to a 150. I haven's seen them since adding to the tank. No signs of them whatsoever. I wonder if they're still alive. I have a small mantis shrimp that I rarely see though. I hear it hitting rocks every other day, so I know at least the mantis is still alive.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of YWG and Tiger Pistol to a 150. I haven's seen them since adding to the tank. No signs of them whatsoever. I wonder if they're still alive. I have a small mantis shrimp that I rarely see though. I hear it hitting rocks every other day, so I know at least the mantis is still alive.
You won’t have them still if you have a mantis in the same tank.
If they’re in separate tanks, look under the tank if possible, usually you’ll find a cave system (Or keep watching the very back of the tank).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back