How to have a reef tank with an angler fish?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really like to have 1 reef tank with all my favorite animals in it.

(tank is fallow starting today…so I have plenty of time to think and think)

My dream fish is an angler fish (frogfish). I think it will be such a cool show piece. The angler I like is a wart skin angler. On live Aquaria’s website it says that they grow to 4 inches max.

Im going to house 3-4 tangs in my tank once fallow is over. How can I know what size fish I can add that the frog fish won’t kill?

239E6F15-F1C4-45BD-A0CF-73D882C6B870.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please try to give me reasons that I need to watch out for. I don’t want to buy this fish and make a mistake. I guess it’s all about perspective: do I want little schooling chromis and anthias, or will having 1-2 frog fish with larger, but less quantity of larger fish?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon further research, it seems like these fish don’t require large tanks at all. It sounds like these fish would be better suited in a species specific tank.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are great fish but can swallow surprisingly large fish and inverts. They should only be housed with fish much larger than they are. They dont do well in high flow tanks and would not be suited for an sps dominant tank unless theres plenty of areas of low flow.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are great fish but can swallow surprisingly large fish and inverts. They should only be housed with fish much larger than they are. They dont do well in high flow tanks and would not be suited for an sps dominant tank unless theres plenty of areas of low flow.
Live aquaria says minimum tank size is 20 gallons…VERY tempting to setup a tank just for 1…but I don’t know. I don’t think the work of feeding it live plus maintaining a whole other system is worth it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back