How to introduce fish without quarantine

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started, I introduced brookynella and Ich to my 110 gallon via clownfish and a yellow wrasse. I have gone fallow “fishless” Twice for 76 days each time to starve out the parasites.

Now I QT all my fish and corals in a 20 gal.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be more difficult to clean during medicine treatment than a regular 10 gallon? Also does it come with a heater? Sorry don’t know much about them
Heater would need to be added but cheap for that size aquarium. I'm using an old biocube14 (my first saltwater aquarium from 2010) and am having an easier time with it than I do with my standard 20 gallon with canister filter. The hood keeps evaporation to a minimum and remains more stable (salinity and med levels).

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater would need to be added but cheap for that size aquarium. I'm using an old biocube14 (my first saltwater aquarium from 2010) and am having an easier time with it than I do with my standard 20 gallon with canister filter. The hood keeps evaporation to a minimum and remains more stable (salinity and med levels).
I had really bad experience when I ran a canister filter on my tank. I think ultimately the lfs upsold me and I fell for it thinking I must have one. It’s been sitting in my basement for years now.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quickest way out of the hobby is not to quarantine. Its no fun watching all your fish die in short order because you were impatient. Been there, done that. It sucked. Its a marathon, not a sprint

Everyone has room for a 10G QT.

Last edited:

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fishes never QT, most fishes I bought from Liveaquaria and lfs I trust.
Never purchased from LIve aquaria. Happy to see good experiences for future references

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quickest way out of the hobby is not to quarantine. Its no fun watching all your fish die in short order because you were impatient. Been there, done that. It sucked.

Everyone has room for a 10G QT

I feel like this has ultimately been me. I listened to my lfs upsell me and allow me to not quarantine and never even mentioned it. Ultimately the only fish after a lot of different purchases is two clowns. One I even suspect of having ich for literally 2-3 years. I assume it’s the reason why nothing else lasts too long or disappears. I am at the point where I want to get rid of my clowns and just go fallow for 76 days and start to have a successful tank from there.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never purchased from LIve aquaria. Happy to see good experiences for future references
I do most of my fish from Live Aquaria and divers den. I've seen a couple fish arrive with a single ich spot from Live Aquaria (California) and if I hadn't QT'd would have been in my display. The divers den fish I haven't noticed any disease but still QT because I am not risking ich in a tank I have $5,000 into. Just isn't worth the risk.
IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this has ultimately been me. I listened to my lfs upsell me and allow me to not quarantine and never even mentioned it. Ultimately the only fish after a lot of different purchases is two clowns. One I even suspect of having ich for literally 2-3 years. I assume it’s the reason why nothing else lasts too long or disappears. I am at the point where I want to get rid of my clowns and just go fallow for 76 days and start to have a successful tank from there.

QT them in a 10G and let your DT stay fallow for 76 days

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do most of my fish from Live Aquaria and divers den. I've seen a couple fish arrive with a single ich spot from Live Aquaria (California) and if I hadn't QT'd would have been in my display. The divers den fish I haven't noticed any disease but still QT because I am not risking ich in a tank I have $5,000 into. Just isn't worth the risk.
IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG
Wow nice tank and cool corals. Build thread?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on treating them while going fallow. Success will require QT anyway so why not start with your clowns that have been with you for so long.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone buy the medicines used to quarantine?
I use copper power, and prazipro. Also keep kanaplex for bacterial infections. I need to keep more medicines for a more complete medicine cabinet but these have been working for me. Most important is the copper and Prazi. IMO.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use copper power, and prazipro. Also keep kanaplex for bacterial infections. I need to keep more medicines for a more complete medicine cabinet but these have been working for me. Most important is the copper and Prazi. IMO.
Do these expire like test kits? Do you have a recommended Prazi/ copper to purchSe to have on hand?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi pro does have an expiration date on the bottle of 11/2020 and I got it from my LFS back in February. Copper power doesn't list an expiration date on the bottle so not sure on it.
image.jpg

Make sure you have a reliable copper test kit. I use the Hanna copper checker and it is amazing and simple to use and get accurate results. I tried the seachem copper test before buying it but was hard to match color tones and be confident of the level. Hanna checker is $50 but worth it for the peace of mind and simplicity.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Per the mentoring of Hotrocks, I also use General Cure and Seachem focus mixed with food for 14 days (t0 cover internal parasites and worms) as part of my prophylactic treatment along with copper power for 30 days and two rounds of Prazi. You should consider it.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the mentoring of Hotrocks, I also use General Cure and Seachem focus mixed with food for 14 days (t0 cover internal parasites and worms) as part of my prophylactic treatment along with copper power for 30 days and two rounds of Prazi. You should consider it.

So am I a bad / un-educated/ lazy reefer to think that having a total of like 7 different medications for my fish tank a lot?

It seems very overwhelming and a lot of information to even begin to understand all of the medications. How common are other diseases other than the common ich/ occasional velvet outbreak?

What would even be the beginning step for someone like me? Other than having a 10 gallon tank with an extra heater / power head / random PVC elbow/ hang on back filter and a handful of different medicines

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back