How to keep algae from transferring to a new tank?

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder tank and it has become infested with dictyota algae and it’s impossible to get rid of. My new 100g is ready to go and I would like to put all of my corals from the old tank into the 100 but There’s no way I want to deal with dictyota again.

Abbygrace190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder tank and it has become infested with dictyota algae and it’s impossible to get rid of. My new 100g is ready to go and I would like to put all of my corals from the old tank into the 100 but There’s no way I want to deal with dictyota again.
Hi!!
Okay I just had the same issue with Dictyota. That freaking stuff is non stop, it took over my twenty gallon in a week and no matter how much i manually removed and how low my nitrates were it would come back with a vengeance. I had it covering my tank for two to three months. I tried so many different things including a black out and several 100% water changes and nothing worked. BUT a couple weeks ago I thought screw it and started dosing algae fix (I HATE putting chemicals in when not absolutely necessary but I needed to do something as it was overtaking my corals!) so I dosed it according to the bottles directions for two weeks. And I kid you not it is completely gone. Not a single bit left and I haven’t treated it in about a month. All my livestock and corals and coralline algae are completely fine, nothing was affected. And now my tank is dictyota free! I did do a water change twice a week to help remove any of the leftovers of the chemicals i was putting in every three to four days. The dictyota broke off and withered as the two weeks went through. So had to clean out my filter sock with all the dead dictyota!
Now I don’t know if this works for all livestock and corals so please research. And I am sure it messed with my levels and everything, but if you are at your wits end then it’s a possibility! Just thought I would share!

good luck!

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I have the same issue with dinoflagellates.
Only take the corals. Cut the corals off and cut off as much of the rocks around it and use glue to cover the surface that have algae or possibly have algae. I do this for all my drags that I buy and put them on my own frag plugs.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back