How to kill Aiptasia (preferably under water)?

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing confident in Aiptasia X and wonder why this thing is still on the market... surely not everyone has bad taste about it?

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And those who use the boiling water method (with syringe) .. what sort of syringe do you use?

I assume the normal plastic syringe may not be best suited for boiling water?

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish did all work for me but they also eat zoa too.
boiling water -I used a turkey juice syringe with the tip cut off. Works for the kalk paste too.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish did all work for me but they also eat zoa too.
boiling water -I used a turkey juice syringe with the tip cut off. Works for the kalk paste too.

Boiling water hey ... do you push all the way per Aiptasia or slow release? I assume 1 blast? because slow release will only makes it detract?

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way for me is to turn off all the water movement, then fill a 1ml syringe with vinegar and stick it into the same hole as the aptasia and slowly inject the vinegar into it. The aptasia dies instantly and the vinegar is reef safe.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a pretty sizable outbreak when we introduced some live rock last September. We used lemon juice in a 1mL syringe / needle. Inject right in the center and give each one a few drops of lemon juice. They immediately recoil and never recover... very satisfying. We're 6 months since then and haven't had any more issues.
i use vinegar.

Ryan420r6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with injection is not the mixture but the technique. You have to have a very steady hand and get a good clean squirt into the mouth before the aiptasia retracts into the rock. I was pretty successful with killing the larger ones but not the small ones as they would retract too fast. When I did miss I would see more pop up pretty soon after. I got really tired of the cat and mouse so I picked up half a dozen peps (90 gal w/~6 aiptasia) and a week later I was aiptasia free (or so I thought). Aiptasia are smart pests bc 2 of them went kamikaze and actually flushed themselves down my overflow to live in the sump. I sucked 1 out last week and now found another one that is getting a little too cozy on my return pump.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with injection is not the mixture but the technique. You have to have a very steady hand and get a good clean squirt into the mouth before the aiptasia retracts into the rock. I was pretty successful with killing the larger ones but not the small ones as they would retract too fast. When I did miss I would see more pop up pretty soon after. I got really tired of the cat and mouse so I picked up half a dozen peps (90 gal w/~6 aiptasia) and a week later I was aiptasia free (or so I thought). Aiptasia are smart pests bc 2 of them went kamikaze and actually flushed themselves down my overflow to live in the sump. I sucked 1 out last week and now found another one that is getting a little too cozy on my return pump.
Basically this is what happened to me because of using Aptasia-X on the ones in the holes and crevices. I couldn't get the whole Aptasia because of their location and they bounced back in numbers. I added 10 Berghia Nudibranchs to the tank last night... crossing my fingers.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use vinegar.
So this works? I me a couple outcrops in my tank and I took the rock out and cut the infected areas out. I don't want to throw away the rock so it's in ro/vinegar solution.
Kalk slurry only killed the 1 and multiplied 10 fold. I may have a few left but tombing them in epoxy sounds like a great idea.

Aqua 59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Peppermint shrimp doesn't seem to work (I put in 3 small one yesterday and I don't see them anymore LOL .... let alone them fixing my Aiptasia).
    • I had a bigger Peppermint shrimp earlier this year and it seems to work on those Aiptasia but shame, I think it gets eaten by the BTA; perhaps what I need is a bigger Peppermint Shrimp?
  • Prefer to fix underwater (don't need to take rock out if I can).
  • (Information if it matters) Inhabitants inside: BTAs, Zoanthids, Euphyllias, Scolly, Rics, Morphs, Acans & 2 Clownfish.
Question: What is the best method in killing these Aiptasia (some is quite big; total of 3 approximately at the moment)?

Picture below is just reference and doesn't depict the real Aiptasia in the tank.
444x340xAiptasia-Blane-Peruns-TheSea.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KoNIix7lW-.jpg
A good way to rid your aquarium of aiptasia is Berghia sea slugs. They eat only aiptasia, and are completely reef-safe. Their small size allows them to fit into tiny crevices to get stray aiptasias. They will lay eggs in your aquarium and continue to reproduce.
You can purchase Berghia sea slugs on Ebay, or from Among the Reef. com. They are very common.

Good luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back