How to kill aptasia in overflow

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently used 95% of a aptasia X bottle killing all of them in my display, but there are 3-4 in my overflow and I can’t get my hand in there, or drain it and chisel it off.

many ideas how to acess / kill aptasia in my overflow?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve done it in my Red Sea S650 they were at the back of the overflow (which I can reach by removing the cover) and I scrapped theme off with a scrapper.

Now I know there is a chance this could make them spread, but it didn’t and any bits were collected by the filter socks

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one. You could use just about anything that is long and narrow enough to try to scrape it into the filter socks. Unfortunately, aptasia is one of those gifts that just keep on giving. Even if you zap every single one, chances are real good you'll be doing it again soon.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree with long handle scraper and small net if no sock

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a few berghia nudibranch into the overflow. It’s expensive, but it will for sure eliminate them. Aptasia X never work for me in the past. I would used it and thinking I got them all but later down the line aptasia would reappear back in the display again.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve done it in my Red Sea S650 they were at the back of the overflow (which I can reach by removing the cover) and I scrapped theme off with a scrapper.

Now I know there is a chance this could make them spread, but it didn’t and any bits were collected by the filter socks
Thanks for the idea, to get my hand in I’ll have to remove the pipes though

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one. You could use just about anything that is long and narrow enough to try to scrape it into the filter socks. Unfortunately, aptasia is one of those gifts that just keep on giving. Even if you zap every single one, chances are real good you'll be doing it again soon.
I’m aware of that but with a tank upgrade plan it’s just about managing them untill then at this point

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a photo of the overflow, I can’t get my hand in and. A scraper won’t be able to get them all, and I can’t get burghia nudibranchs in Australia
image.jpg

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your overflow compartment holds water on it's own, cant you stop the return pump, drain the saltwater by siphoning with an airline tube or larger diameter tubing, pour in high concentrated kalkwasser fresh water, let sit for a while, maybe 10-15 minutes or maybe even longer, then siphon out, and refill with new saltwater. I'm pretty sure the fresh water and kalk will kill them. (I'd flush out with fresh water a couple times before adding new saltwater)

Or maybe the same with citric acid?

Never tried but seems like it may work.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your overflow compartment holds water on it's own, cant you stop the return pump, drain the saltwater by siphoning with an airline tube or larger diameter tubing, pour in high concentrated kalkwasser fresh water, let sit for a while, maybe 10-15 minutes or maybe even longer, then siphon out, and refill with new saltwater. I'm pretty sure the fresh water and kalk will kill them. (I'd flush out with fresh water a couple times before adding new saltwater)

Or maybe the same with citric acid?

Never tried but seems like it may work.
Unfortunately it dosnt but I could try makeshift sealing it

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back