How to know what baffles can be removed?

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make the first two sections of my sump into one so that I can fit the filter sock and a skimmer in there and have a refugium in the big section before the return section.
To do that I need to remove two baffles, one of the is silicone onto the bottom of the tank and I would need to cut where the silicone holds the main structure, does this mean I cant remove this baffle? I've not got the first clue when it comes to DIY lol.
I've labelled baffle 1 and 2 which I need to remove and put an error to where I'm worried about cutting
20200910_093700.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to remove both of those... I think. But having a better understanding of the flow pattern in the sump/refugium would be helpful.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to remove both of those... I think. But having a better understanding of the flow pattern in the sump/refugium would be helpful.
I've labelled the sections in order. The water comes into section 1, through section 2, 3 and the return is in section 4.
I had chaeto in section 3 but due to algae in the sump I've cleaned it out and will put new chaeto in there.
I'm hoping to turn section 1 and 2 into one section to be able to fit a skimmer in there.
20200910_111038.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work just fine. No problem with flow if you remove the baffles between sections 1 and 2.

I have just 2 sections in mine.
Water comes into the refugium through a filter sock that is in the refugium, then it flows over/under a pair of baffles where both the skimmer and return pump are. It works so well I sometimes pull the drain line from the tank, out of the sock and let unfiltered tank water into the fuge. I do this more often as I'm feeding the tank. That way food that gets sucked down to the fuge gets out into the fuge to help feed the coral banded shrimp, urchin and snails in the fuge.

I pulled the sock off the left drain which is the durso because it doesn't flow that much water. 95% of my drainage from the main tank is done by the open drain which is on the right. The middle pipe is the emergency drain and never sees any flow (so far!)

20191226_120428.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 70 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.9%
Back