How to light a 6ft Tank?

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am looking at the Orbit marine pro ic . Here's the main difference between the Pro and the PRO IC.

The Pro is meant to be used as a single unit. The IC PRO can be daisy chained together. This means you only need one controller to setup both units. To me this is a big plus.. Also kinda cool is the remote hides in the controller. So nice not to lose stuff.

May not be the best par led out there, but for 400.00 I can get the dual setup in 72" .. Its a good start... :)

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmed this - did anyone recommend black box with supplement t5's? If you mount them high enough (like, 14-18") you could definitely get away with 2 of the 16" sbreef and then just have 2 single bulb 60" t5's (ati blue plus imo), one in front one in back to help with shading. Then if (read: when) you want to add sps, pickup 2 more sbreef and orient all 4 "sideways" leaving a small gap for the brace. If the height is an issue, pop the lenses off and mount them low like 8", I'd still say you can start with just 2 if you supplement with 55 and aren't trying to grow sps.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmed this - did anyone recommend black box with supplement t5's? If you mount them high enough (like, 14-18") you could definitely get away with 2 of the 16" sbreef and then just have 2 single bulb 60" t5's (ati blue plus imo), one in front one in back to help with shading. Then if (read: when) you want to add sps, pickup 2 more sbreef and orient all 4 "sideways" leaving a small gap for the brace. If the height is an issue, pop the lenses off and mount them low like 8", I'd still say you can start with just 2 if you supplement with 55 and aren't trying to grow sps.
(I thought about this).. Would be interested if others have tried it

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen many posts doing it with black box, but many successful stories of led+t5, imo it's one of the most successful ways to keep costs down and reduce shadowing, a lot like the old t5/halide combos.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main concern is when I build my canopy, is i don't want to have a dozen fixtures plugged in up top.. 2 ballasts, 4 led, plus my wave makers. I am running a 72 x 24 x 24 180 gallon that will be open on 3 sides. So i can't really route behind the rear of the tank.. But others should look at this option. I agree t5 and led is the way to go. If you got the $$$ they have a unit that has both on it. T5 hanger and 3 holes for kessils .

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messed with lights for 3 years. I have settled in with my ATI with a Reef bright and am loving the color the lights give off, the growth and the color of the corals. IMO I would do a 80W 6 bulb ATI with a Blue reefbrite.

You know what they say about opinions though!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could find an old MH light pendant for cheap and start out with the best lighting. Just go with 250W MH's and you will not need a chiller.

Back