How to light a 6ft Tank?

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely understandable. This hobby can be very expensive haha. The cost of the galaxyhydro was about 100 off Amazon while the sbreef light is around 120 or 130 I can't remember. I did get a chance to open up the galaxy hydro and everything did seem built and put together fairly well. I am not an expert on electrical work however.

When I compare that to the sbreef light I can notice the difference in the quality and also in the light that is produced. You will get more pinkish purple with the galaxy hydro. Also the diffusion of the light doesn't seem to be as great when compared to the sbreef. I noticed that I could see where the red led would show on my rock if I looked close enough.

You can grow corals with any source of lighting that is available now a days. I prefer t5 because i am not very good with trying to figure out the correct spectrum for everything. My corals look noticeable different in a good way under t5s and I also have better growth. I did try the rapidled corona unit but have not tried kessil or radion where they make it easier for you to find the right spectrum for coral growth. I do miss the controability of being able to change the spectrums at will but in the long term constantly changing your spectrum will only hinder coral growth.

I am curious though. Are you able to see tanks lit by both lights or only have seen tanks lit by led? They do sell cheaper t5 fixtures from 4 bulb to 8 bulb on Amazon for around 100 to 150 depending on size. The ones I bought were hydroplanet. It does use an aluminum reflector but it isn't really individualized which means the penetration won't be as good as the ati fixture. Also there are no fans but the lights don't seem to get too hot while running. It all judt comes to personal taste on what you want your tank to look like. T5 also will make things brighter due to less shadows in the tank. Led can do the same but will need more fixtures.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those corals you'll be fine with any light source you pick. Even with sps any light can grow them, it's just a matter of getting either enough led fixtures or enough bulbs of t5 or halide

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely understandable. This hobby can be very expensive haha. The cost of the galaxyhydro was about 100 off Amazon while the sbreef light is around 120 or 130 I can't remember. I did get a chance to open up the galaxy hydro and everything did seem built and put together fairly well. I am not an expert on electrical work however.

When I compare that to the sbreef light I can notice the difference in the quality and also in the light that is produced. You will get more pinkish purple with the galaxy hydro. Also the diffusion of the light doesn't seem to be as great when compared to the sbreef. I noticed that I could see where the red led would show on my rock if I looked close enough.

You can grow corals with any source of lighting that is available now a days. I prefer t5 because i am not very good with trying to figure out the correct spectrum for everything. My corals look noticeable different in a good way under t5s and I also have better growth. I did try the rapidled corona unit but have not tried kessil or radion where they make it easier for you to find the right spectrum for coral growth. I do miss the controability of being able to change the spectrums at will but in the long term constantly changing your spectrum will only hinder coral growth.

I am curious though. Are you able to see tanks lit by both lights or only have seen tanks lit by led? They do sell cheaper t5 fixtures from 4 bulb to 8 bulb on Amazon for around 100 to 150 depending on size. The ones I bought were hydroplanet. It does use an aluminum reflector but it isn't really individualized which means the penetration won't be as good as the ati fixture. Also there are no fans but the lights don't seem to get too hot while running. It all judt comes to personal taste on what you want your tank to look like. T5 also will make things brighter due to less shadows in the tank. Led can do the same but will need more fixtures.
With those corals you'll be fine with any light source you pick. Even with sps any light can grow them, it's just a matter of getting either enough led fixtures or enough bulbs of t5 or halide

I have not seen a T5 in action because all of my LFS use only LEDs and push those for sale most of the time. My only push for LEDs since I dont have experience with T5 is just the program-ability. The whole dim and sunrise to sundown set up appeals to me because sometimes I'm gone for the entire day. Slowly starting to look like I'll just have to pay extra for those features haha. I just feel it would injustice to get such good lights only to use on simple corals lol

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not that many still use t5s in the lfs. I do like the programmability as well. I like seeing a sunrise to sunset effect but i work odd hours so I never get to see it too often. One thing about led is you can program them to be on longer at a shorter intensity which can be nice but isn't the most effective for growing corals and cab increase algae growth.

Haha I know what you mean. Those bells and whistles always cost a little more but there are more affordable options than others. Also different lights produce different looking spectrums with the leds. Look at what blur diodes are offered in the ones youre looking at. The one I got only offered on set of blues,while nice,I would have liked a darker blue instead of a lighter one. Just small things when youre paying that much for lighting.

Which fixtures make the top 5 that youre looking at?

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not that many still use t5s in the lfs. I do like the programmability as well. I like seeing a sunrise to sunset effect but i work odd hours so I never get to see it too often. One thing about led is you can program them to be on longer at a shorter intensity which can be nice but isn't the most effective for growing corals and cab increase algae growth.

Haha I know what you mean. Those bells and whistles always cost a little more but there are more affordable options than others. Also different lights produce different looking spectrums with the leds. Look at what blur diodes are offered in the ones youre looking at. The one I got only offered on set of blues,while nice,I would have liked a darker blue instead of a lighter one. Just small things when youre paying that much for lighting.

Which fixtures make the top 5 that youre looking at?

Yea im not too well versed with lights since this is my first dive.

Not sure for my Top 5, so many choices so many price ranges lol. But anything that requires high suspension is a no go. I need something that can use simple brackets and fit within the canopy or something easy for me to modify. In my 1st post i have the link to my tank, its the on with 1 brace in the middle.

I have been recommended LedZeal and other high end chinese black box but idk yet. its hard to decide lol wish I could see all types of selections in person but my LFS only carry AI, Fluval, Radion, and another brand i forgot the name

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean haha. I've tried led and t5s. I want to try halide but i don't have the money for a chiller and I don't want to deal with the heat without one because i am too lazy haha. I know people get good growth with all 3 lights and there are a ton of success stories with the black box leds.

Have you ever looked at YouTube? Bulk reef supply has done a lot of research on the 3 different lights. They also have recently done studies on kessil, radion, and the black box led.

My biggest issue with t5 is that it does create a more flat look to the tank but it does a really good job of lighting thikngs up. Leds do a good job at creating more depth and action from the shadows and shimmer. Also you can not compete with the fluorescence of led although it doesn't appear as bright in the tank. I used to prefer a darker blue coloration that would show the fluorescence but i prefer a more natural looking light color now.

You can modify any type of light to hang from a canopy. They make retro fit t5s that you can screw in easily. Leds you can use a rail system inside the canopy, the hanging system that comes with the light, or screws from the top to screw into the light. Halides are for the most part a bigger unit. They can be placed in the canopy but might want to make a taller canopy to fit them. Also i wouldn't run a halide inside of the canopy without a good cooling system in place because i could see that trapping too much heat and overheating your tank during the warmer months if not all the time.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean haha. I've tried led and t5s. I want to try halide but i don't have the money for a chiller and I don't want to deal with the heat without one because i am too lazy haha. I know people get good growth with all 3 lights and there are a ton of success stories with the black box leds.

Have you ever looked at YouTube? Bulk reef supply has done a lot of research on the 3 different lights. They also have recently done studies on kessil, radion, and the black box led.

My biggest issue with t5 is that it does create a more flat look to the tank but it does a really good job of lighting thikngs up. Leds do a good job at creating more depth and action from the shadows and shimmer. Also you can not compete with the fluorescence of led although it doesn't appear as bright in the tank. I used to prefer a darker blue coloration that would show the fluorescence but i prefer a more natural looking light color now.

You can modify any type of light to hang from a canopy. They make retro fit t5s that you can screw in easily. Leds you can use a rail system inside the canopy, the hanging system that comes with the light, or screws from the top to screw into the light. Halides are for the most part a bigger unit. They can be placed in the canopy but might want to make a taller canopy to fit them. Also i wouldn't run a halide inside of the canopy without a good cooling system in place because i could see that trapping too much heat and overheating your tank during the warmer months if not all the time.

I'll check out the BRS video. Yeah going to avoid halides. Hm sounds like T5 is great for frag tanks. looks like i have to youtube all these lights to see which would be the best for me lol. Can't believe its taking me forever to decide

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check out the BRS video. Yeah going to avoid halides. Hm sounds like T5 is great for frag tanks. looks like i have to youtube all these lights to see which would be the best for me lol. Can't believe its taking me forever to decide

They are pretty good all around imo. Really good growth and the coloration is very nice as well. The best youtube really can do is show the biggest differences between the three and give you par numbers. You can kind of see the difference but it's nothing like seeing it in person unfortunately. Really good idea to go slow. Nothing wrong with that.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty good all around imo. Really good growth and the coloration is very nice as well. The best youtube really can do is show the biggest differences between the three and give you par numbers. You can kind of see the difference but it's nothing like seeing it in person unfortunately. Really good idea to go slow. Nothing wrong with that.
Also the Chinese black box are good and programmable

Talked to a bunch of people at my LFS and they all said to go for Chinese Black Box because I'm sticking to softies and the easier LPS

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to a bunch of people at my LFS and they all said to go for Chinese Black Box because I'm sticking to softies and the easier LPS
With getting the Chinese black box you can also support sps if you like done the line. The Current lights don't support sps

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with AI primes. Check out the video BRS did on them recently. You may be able to find some used pretty cheap. You can start with 3 for now then just add a few more as you go on and want more high light corals.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That answer is a punt in a situation when you don't need to though.

If you like those kinds of lights, then fine.

But "softies" and "LPS" don't grow under a different sun than other corals! :) So thinking of them as needing more/less/different light than "other corals" doesn't even make sense when you consider it. :p

The Currents mentioned earlier will grow any coral that uses light....SPS included.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With getting the Chinese black box you can also support sps if you like done the line. The Current lights don't support sps
I would go with AI primes. Check out the video BRS did on them recently. You may be able to find some used pretty cheap. You can start with 3 for now then just add a few more as you go on and want more high light corals.

That answer is a punt in a situation when you don't need to though.

If you like those kinds of lights, then fine.

But "softies" and "LPS" don't grow under a different sun than other corals! :) So thinking of them as needing more/less/different light than "other corals" doesn't even make sense when you consider it. :p

The Currents mentioned earlier will grow any coral that uses light....SPS included.

Im going with the Current USA Orbit Marine, fairly priced and has received great reviews except for their controller issue apparently.

EDIT: Turns out there's a Orbit Marine Pro as well, however not seeing many reviews at all. If anyone has experience with regular and the pro please share!

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three Orbits in the line:
  1. Orbit Marine (36"X2 @ 72 watts; no lenses)
  2. Orbit Marine IC (72" @ 63 watts; 90º lenses)
  3. Orbit Marine Pro (seems to be called the "IC Pro" in newer literature) (72" @ 100 watts; 60º lenses)
Their PDF breaks down the usage recommendations for all three lights together in one doc:
Orbit Marine PRO PAR Data
See also: PAR Data

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want the IC or the PRO....either could work.

If you want to suspend the lights over the tank vs have them on the trim, then the stronger lenses and added power on the PRO model will be welcome.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything under 300-250 a piece you'd recommend? I honestly should just shell out and get good lights at once but I'd rather do those upgrades later when I can handle all types of corals

Would I be stupid to buy those standard reef lights meant for 50 gals from Amazon and have multiple of them?
For example : https://www.amazon.com/Galaxyhydro-...TF8&qid=1507047912&sr=8-6&keywords=reef+light

Black boxes are completely fine and grow coral with no issues. I have 3x Mars Aqua lights over my 6ft, I'd say 4 is probably better if you can afford it.

And if you have a bit more room in your budget then look at SB Reef lights. Way better than standard black box LEDs. The basic versions are fine but they have Wifi ones too. I would still go with 4 16" lights though for the best coverage.

That's what I was thinking, plus in the future I can have them be used for individual tanks as well. I will definitely look into SB. Are teh Mars Aqua programmable? As in timer?

My only issue is based on that model, my model has 2 panel areas which makes it annoying. Specifically this style
97037 MDDT250B 0509jpg46674640x640.jpg

And I have the same pet peeve, I can't take shadows and the middle beam drives me nuts. So im avoiding 72" strips fo rthat reason but if it covers it all then fine. But thats why I was thinking smaller lights and just have multiple of them to cover the entire area. Any recommendations you may have?
In Bb's
Look at the 30&32in models also called the 300w models. Two would be fine four would be amazing.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are three Orbits in the line:
  1. Orbit Marine (36"X2 @ 72 watts; no lenses)
  2. Orbit Marine IC (72" @ 63 watts; 90º lenses)
  3. Orbit Marine Pro (seems to be called the "IC Pro" in newer literature) (72" @ 100 watts; 60º lenses)
Their PDF breaks down the usage recommendations for all three lights together in one doc:
Orbit Marine PRO PAR Data
See also: PAR Data
You'll want the IC or the PRO....either could work.

If you want to suspend the lights over the tank vs have them on the trim, then the stronger lenses and added power on the PRO model will be welcome.

I'll be keeping on the trim on top of the tank. Seems like Orbit Marine IC sounds great but the reviews on amazon scare me a bit. Orbit Marine has many generally positive reviews. And you recommended a 72" Orbit Marine IC, do you think 2 36" Orbit marine IC would be better for coverage and growth of Softies and easier LPS or is 1 72" perfectly fine? Do you have experience with Orbit Marine or Orbit Marine IC? Thank you for helping!

I'm thinking of just sticking to Current and get some experience under my belt with softies and easier LPS. Down the line when I am able to commit more time, I'll upgrade then to handle sps.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about the effect from the bracing, it should be minimal – very focused right underneath the braces.

It would be slightly more noticeable under the Pro due to the steeper angle on the light from the 60º lenses, but still minimal, and right under the braces.

Check out lots of tank photos (search here, Google, etc) with 72" strips where they have the braces. I'm not sure that breaking it up into smaller strips (or spotlights) is any better and could be worse. It might help in that you'd eliminate the light being reflected UP off the braces from the 72" models. But the light fixture itself blocks a good majority of that light from scattering up into the room

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back