How to prevent lockjaw for puffer fish

Porcupine Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2023
Messages
183
Reaction score
63
Location
Colorado springs
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a porcupine puffer a long time ago and I suspected that he got lock jaw before he died. He used to eat a plethora of food krill, shrimp, clams, and even squid. I thought about getting another puffer in the future but what can I do to prevent lock jaw from happening again?
 
I believe in predatory fish lockjaw is typically a sign of thiamine deficiency. This happens because certain common and cheap meaty foods contain large amounts of thiaminase, which breaks down the vitamin. This includes krill, certain silverside brands (depending on species), and maybe shrimp? I can't remember exactly, but I'd look into eliminating all potential sources of this. I use salmon, scallops and SF brand silversides (which don't have thiaminase) for my eels.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new