How to remove plug

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate plugs in my DT so I always remove them. Always easy with LPS and such. I've been looking at adding some Cyphastrea and they all seem to be largely encrusted on to the plug. Of course many other Corals are sold that way as well.
That being the case how do you remove the coral from the plug? My assumption is that you cut away the encrusted flesh and pop off the frag just like a non encrusted frag.
Thanks for any tips you have to offer.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something like that I usually cut off the stem and then use reef putty to stick and disguise what's left of the plug onto a rock. After it's encrusted it's very hard to tell the original plug is there. IMO you don't want to remove an encrusting coral like cyphastrea from a plug.

Blinkdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For something like that I usually cut off the stem and then use reef putty to stick and disguise what's left of the plug onto a rock. After it's encrusted it's very hard to tell the original plug is there. IMO you don't want to remove an encrusting coral like cyphastrea from a plug.

Yeah cut the stem off the plug. If you have a band saw, you can cut right where the coral is encrusted and glue onto new plug or disc.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Back