How to safely remove soft corals

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got an rbta that is doing really well in my tank so far. However it has moved to a position of its liking like all nems do at the expense of a devils hand leather and a kenya tree. Both of these corals are attached to the rocks btw. How do I remove these corals without harming them so I can relocate them?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt move the Nem, as he's gonna move about anyways. You can use an exacto blade to cut the Leather free of its spot. I'd recommend running carbon in the system when you cut the leather off.

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt move the Nem, as he's gonna move about anyways. You can use an exacto blade to cut the Leather free of its spot. I'd recommend running carbon in the system when you cut the leather off.
Should I use an iodine when I cut the corals off? I might do a wc since the devils hand is probably releasing chemicals into the tank. It seems like the rbta found a good spot since they like to tuck their foot into a crevice.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was not planning on getting a nem, this will only get worse when it splits. One tank I saw had 5 nems that came from just one, but in a 30 gal.
Mine is 29. I am right there with ya. I just tore out some of my scape planning for a nem.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm betting my nem won't like the nice rock I got for it. It will most likely decide it wants to foot next to something I'll never be able to remove...like yours has :)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use an iodine when I cut the corals off? I might do a wc since the devils hand is probably releasing chemicals into the tank. It seems like the rbta found a good spot since they like to tuck their foot into a crevice.
Water change will help, but the leather will leach into the tank until that portion that was cut is healed up. Carbon is best used at this point.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back