How to stop clown fish aggression

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the word of squidward form SpongeBob SquarePants “ we have been cheated and lied to” every were you see clowns are considered reef and community friendly, but they have killed five fish I have added to my tank all freshwater mollies, there fins are always ripped and scales missing at death, very annoyigg no as my stocking is low only having 6 fish left if I ever traded or buy a new fish I’m scarred they may be killed. I I’m asking how can you stop clown fish aggression or tone it down. Any answer helps, thanks.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are aggressive. First question would be what size tank are they in? If it’s a small tank, you may not be able to keep any other fish with them.

Feed several times a day, hungry fish are more aggressive.

If the tank is 30 gallons +, you should be able to add a couple other small fish. You may need to remove the clowns and keep them in another tank or breeder box for a week or two to allow the new fish to setup territory.

Alternatively, You can try rearranging the scape right before adding the new fish.

Make sure there are lots of caves and hiding spots so the new fish can safely retreat if necessary.

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are aggressive. First question would be what size tank are they in? If it’s a small tank, you may not be able to keep any other fish with them.

Feed several times a day, hungry fish are more aggressive.

If the tank is 30 gallons +, you should be able to add a couple other small fish. You may need to remove the clowns and keep them in another tank or breeder box for a week or two to allow the new fish to setup territory.

Alternatively, You can try rearranging the scape right before adding the new fish.

Make sure there are lots of caves and hiding spots so the new fish can safely retreat if necessary.
The tank is a 40 gallon all these fish were added before the clowns were added and I really don’t want to move the rocks as I have corals growing on them which may damaged them or stress them

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 40 gallon all these fish were added before the clowns were added and I really don’t want to move the rocks as I have corals growing on them which may damaged them or stress them
Taking a look at your tank pic, you don’t have enough rocks to provide adequate territory and hiding for more than 2-3 fish. Triple the amount of rock making lots of caves and crevices. Fish should be able to retreat and hide if under attack.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to "stop" this behavior. A 40 with a pair of clowns... they will prolly only tolerate a smaller helper fish or a larger one. They are mean fish and mollies are just lame ducks in a saltwater tank. More like live food for most saltwater fish. You might have to introduce the next fish slowly in its own basket walled off until they get used to it.

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a look at your tank pic, you don’t have enough rocks to provide adequate territory and hiding for more than 2-3 fish. Triple the amount of rock making lots of caves and crevices. Fish should be able to retreat and hide if under attack.
Will have been looking for cheap rock and haven’t had the time to get some but will definitely make note on it thanks

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to @Rtaylor suggestion on more rock. Individual behavior will always trump a species reputation. Most of the clowns I have are relatively fine with new additions but I'v also had mature females do their best to remove my hand from their aquarium. Just FYI, aquarists always need to be ready to rehome fish, whether adding new fish or dealing with changing behavior as fish mature.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't change the behaviour of your fish, and it's kind of unfair to think that they should -- they are acting very naturally to incursions into what is their breeding territory. Why not work with the clowns instead? You can:

-try a fish that has completely different living requirements, such as one of the dwarf (not matted!) filefish -- most other fish ignore them. Or perhaps a Caribbean clingfish, which often clings to the glass, and will be out of the way of the clowns

-try some fun inverts, like urchins and keyhole limpets and cowries, all of which are attractive and add unusual activity to the tank

-try something that lives in or near the substrate, such a pistol shrimp and goby pair; they're unlikely to be in direct competition with living space with the clowns.

-focus on corals instead of fish.

JDTFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to "stop" this behavior. A 40 with a pair of clowns... they will prolly only tolerate a smaller helper fish or a larger one. They are mean fish and mollies are just lame ducks in a saltwater tank. More like live food for most saltwater fish. You might have to introduce the next fish slowly in its own basket walled off until they get used to it.
Does the basket work? Have two clowns that just took their aggression to a new level. Bought a sailfin a surgeon tang yesterday. Took them back today. Didn’t get anything for them being as they were torn up pretty good, but it was better than watching the clowns kill them off. Hopefully the store gives them away vs flushing them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back