How to stop clownfish hosting torch

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clowns started really hosting my torch coral. They're rubbing into it, pecking at it, and cleaning the tentacles. I would normally be excited to see them quickly adapt to the tank, but the torch coral is very irritated and is being abused. How can I stop the clowns' destructive hosting behavior before they kill the torch coral? Any suggestions on alternative corals? I have a xenia and small toradstool but they seem very disinterested. I think they like the stinging of the torch. An anemone is out of the question because it is a nano tank. Any thoughts/ideas? The torch is my favorite coral in the tank and I would absolutely hate to lose it after having it for so long.
1617322128667.png

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they have made up there own mind and they are stubborn little buggers. You may have to remove the coral or the clowns. Mine host my duncans and my other duncans once i fragged my duncans....they wont leave the duncans and i cant get with in 6 inches of said coral. I know this doesnt help but clowns like what they like

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really much you can do other than maybe getting an anemone, but this is a small tank and the anemone might do more harm by moving around

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish will be clown fish. I had 10 torches and 5 bta. They went after all my torches and then I had none. After that they are now with the bubble tips. And i got more torches in the dt now. No more issues with the clowns.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My duncans didnt like it at first either now they stay wide open and dont mind the clowns at all. Maybe your torch will decide its ok.....i dont have a torch

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on going to the lfs tomorrow. If I buy a better hosting coral, remove the clowns for a bit, and then reintroduce them with the new coral, would they still instinctually choose the torch?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on going to the lfs tomorrow. If I buy a better hosting coral, remove the clowns for a bit, and then reintroduce them with the new coral, would they still instinctually choose the torch?
Then there’s mine. During the day when the lights are on, her host is the dragon soul torch. By night, it’s the Xenia.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you head to the LFS, why don't you try putting the torch in a basket for a few weeks, see if they decide to use that leather nearby as a host instead (or any other coral you currently have) and if they do, then reintroduce the torch again. Honestly, I wouldn't go out and buy a coral to see if the clown hosts it, just because corals aren't their natural host; might cause the new coral to get stressed/damaged as well!

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't get mine to host in anything
Like someone said clowns will be clowns lol
What clowns do you have

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine 'hosts' on the loc-line on one of my returns. I'm hoping he doesn't move to my torch when it starts to grow out.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick and choose. Keep the clown or keep the torch haha.

You could try removing the clown for a week or so, then reintroducing it in hopes it picks a different spot.

Clowns are weird/silly haha

Ehsan sj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy an anemone
So my clowns started really hosting my torch coral. They're rubbing into it, pecking at it, and cleaning the tentacles. I would normally be excited to see them quickly adapt to the tank, but the torch coral is very irritated and is being abused. How can I stop the clowns' destructive hosting behavior before they kill the torch coral? Any suggestions on alternative corals? I have a xenia and small toradstool but they seem very disinterested. I think they like the stinging of the torch. An anemone is out of the question because it is a nano tank. Any thoughts/ideas? The torch is my favorite coral in the tank and I would absolutely hate to lose it after having it for so lon

Back