How to support a DIY Bowfront stand - Any structural engineer thoughts?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to start over again, aptasia has beaten me!

One of the main reasons I want to do this, is I want to build my own stand to make getting under the tank easier.

I have a beautiful 6 foot long, 165 gallon bowfront glass aquarium, I am just not sure how I can safely support the bowfront! I would prefer to go wood, as I have never worked with metal before. My first thought is to use 3/4 plywood and trace the bottom of the tank to use as a top and base for the stand, I just cannot figure out how to space/install the supports so that the weight will be safely and evenly supported.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Saturday:)
Questions
  • Are you going to make the stand in the same shape at the tank, bowed
  • Are you going to my a squared cabinet and have a top that is square
  • Are you going to have the sump under the cabinet
  • what are the measurements of the of the tank
What I did was support the middle of the tank with 2 3/4 pieces of plywood screwed together. I made two of these supports for the center. I put a granite top on top of the cabinet. For the rest of the cabinet I used 4/4 Mahogany for the ends and 3/4 mahogany for the rest of the build and stacked the joints for support. There is a plan on my build thread that may give you some ideas, and one can find my thread by clicking the link in my signature. If you are going with a sump that is going under the cabinet I can draw you out a quick concept, easier than explaining what I am thinking;) using Plywood for the center supports and post it up here?

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking I would need to keep the stand bowed for full support under the entire circumference of the tank, but a rectangular stand that provided adequate support would probably solve my room underneath challenges.

Sump definitely will be underneath (currently a 55 gallon long). My house has no garage, basement, etc... for a "fish room."

I am at work now, so from memory the tank is 6 foot long, sides are 18 inches, bowing out to 26 inches at the center, with 27" height.

Any ideas or help is appreciated, I just want to make sure I have complete support around the circumference.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'd do.......3/4 plywood top, cut to the bow of the tank...as you mentioned. Directly below the front edge of this plywood top would be a dimension piece of lumber (not sure of the bow and if this would be a 2 x 10 or something bigger or smaller), laid flat and also cut to the bow of the tank. Below this piece would be the remaining structure of the stand (with horizontal supports), with maybe three or four vertical supports (2x4's), supporting the front edge.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Saturday:)
Questions
  • Are you going to make the stand in the same shape at the tank, bowed
  • Are you going to my a squared cabinet and have a top that is square
  • Are you going to have the sump under the cabinet
  • what are the measurements of the of the tank
What I did was support the middle of the tank with 2 3/4 pieces of plywood screwed together. I made two of these supports for the center. I put a granite top on top of the cabinet. For the rest of the cabinet I used 4/4 Mahogany for the ends and 3/4 mahogany for the rest of the build and stacked the joints for support. There is a plan on my build thread that may give you some ideas, and one can find my thread by clicking the link in my signature. If you are going with a sump that is going under the cabinet I can draw you out a quick concept, easier than explaining what I am thinking;) using Plywood for the center supports and post it up here?
I definitely need the sump underneath. Any ideas are appreciated!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need the tank measurements

Sorry, took a day to get the exact measurements. It is a Bowfront glass aquarium. It has a 1/4" plastic edge all around the bottom and top edge. Where possible, I have differentiated the measurements.

Back of the tank is 6 foot exactly (glass width); 6' 1/2" including plastic edge.
Each side is 17 1/4" glass width; 17 3/4" including plastic edge.
2' in from each side is a plastic cross member, measuring 23 3/4" (including plastic edge)
Dead center (3' in from side) it is 24 1/2" (including the plastic edge)

It is a consistent height of 25 1/4" including the plastic edging.

Hopefully that is enough measurements to give you what you need to sketch something up. I definitely need to have sump/equipment underneath the tank in the stand.

Here is a picture of the tank "as is" on the factory stand that I want to replace:
20141028_154928.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, took a day to get the exact measurements. It is a Bowfront glass aquarium. It has a 1/4" plastic edge all around the bottom and top edge. Where possible, I have differentiated the measurements.

Back of the tank is 6 foot exactly (glass width); 6' 1/2" including plastic edge.
Each side is 17 1/4" glass width; 17 3/4" including plastic edge.
2' in from each side is a plastic cross member, measuring 23 3/4" (including plastic edge)
Dead center (3' in from side) it is 24 1/2" (including the plastic edge)

It is a consistent height of 25 1/4" including the plastic edging.

Hopefully that is enough measurements to give you what you need to sketch something up. I definitely need to have sump/equipment underneath the tank in the stand.

Here is a picture of the tank "as is" on the factory stand that I want to replace:
20141028_154928.jpg
Let me play around with this this week,

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A different thought as I am brainstorming...

If I went "rectangular", instead of bow-front, how thick would the "top" have to be to support the tank? (assuming I would not have direct support under the entirety of the "bow") Tank is 6' long, going from roughly 18" - 24" and back. If I made a Base Box (to hold equipment, electronics, sump, etc..) that was 6' x 3' (to allow a "bar edge" type surface in front), how would I need to support the top safely?

Not sure that question even makes sense...

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John, I did not take time to lay out the exact measurements yet. Depending on the machinery you have here is a concept of supports and basic cabinet construction with all 3/4 material. This concept drawing is just the box structure nothing else. It kind of what I did with mine. The weight of the tank is supported by the four supports and then can be face framed for extra support.
72 inch bowfront stand-Model.png

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Are the middle supports to look like the drawing image on the far right? Or would they need to be full thickness?

I appreciate the time you took to do this!

John

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full thickness?? Mening? The way I have the drawn now are, which are boarder line for support on the top.

Your welcome, I actually like to draw. For me drawing the project before building the project on paper, so when I go to build most of the "oh I did not think about that" 's are already solved. Plus with a cut list also save time.
72 inch bowfront stand-Model2.png

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean are they solid sheets of plywood which would be walls separating the stand into chambers, or are they "legs" so the space under the stand is open?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back