How to take corals home? Can they board a plane?

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel weekly. You can't bring liquids on plane in volume that will hold corals. Only bet is to get thermos like someone said and check your luggage. You won't be able to bring on plane as carry on.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I plan to bring something home from MACNA this year myself I contacted TSA and asked them the question about carry-on coral. This is their reply: "Live coral is allowed in carry-on bags. The water needed to keep your coral alive must be 3.4 oz or less and the entire container must be packed into your liquids bag".
I myself recently brought about a dozen frags back from San Diego backed in a cardboard box, well taped, with a warmer, in my checked luggage. Everything made it fine.

This is very helpful information. Thank you! And I'm glad your corals made it home safely!

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I plan to bring something home from MACNA this year myself I contacted TSA and asked them the question about carry-on coral. This is their reply: "Live coral is allowed in carry-on bags. The water needed to keep your coral alive must be 3.4 oz or less and the entire container must be packed into your liquids bag".
I myself recently brought about a dozen frags back from San Diego backed in a cardboard box, well taped, with a warmer, in my checked luggage. Everything made it fine.

This is good to know, but personally, I would probably try to check a bag. The TSA website says the final decision on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint lies with that individual officer. If the officer arbitrarily and incorrectly decides your coral is suspect, they may not allow it through. Planning to check a bag, even though it's more hassle, may be a safer option.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue TSA will have is that they cannot determine the liquid in the bag....add a blue leg hermit to each bag they can see something living and moving that way...they can see it's not an explosive liquid and they will move it through. IME

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken coral on a plane multiple times in carry-on no problems. Just explained to TSA what it was and off I went with no hassle.
There's no way this is possible on commercial airlines. I am Delta Diamond and did 170+ segments last year. I'd bet my life this isn't true. TSA isn't letting you through with a bag of water.

Blue Meg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think explanations should work. Back in the film days, I did a lot with special films such as infrared and UV. The agents would let me go. I'm also a technical diver. I tell them that I want a bag check. Its easier than surprising them with crazy equipment.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was stopped and told to remove water down to near nothing in the bags of coral I took home from MACNA last year. Learned to put it in checked in bag. TSA would not budge on water in carry on.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it on a checked bag and call it a day. The TSA guidelines aren't for live animals but rather LIVE FISH (https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=live fish). So corals don't apply unfortunately. I've carried fish on, but always check my corals. TSA is always switching things around & with all the terrorism going on, just stay off the radar. I heard a horror story of someone not being able to carry their fish on after MACNA last year.

All you need is a cooler. Like others, I use the sample cups. I bought 100 years ago for mad cheap & have plenty more still. So it's a cheap investment. Good luck!

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way this is possible on commercial airlines. I am Delta Diamond and did 170+ segments last year. I'd bet my life this isn't true. TSA isn't letting you through with a bag of water.

I fly Delta for work as well and I bring corals back in my carry on luggage all the time. I remove what water is not necessary and then put them in with my liquids. I have never had TSA say anything about them. I would agree that if you walk up with a bag and said its coral inside they wouldn't care and make you get rid of it. Sometimes its best to not let them know ;)

I did however check a box of coral one time because I was bringing a bunch of stuff back and Delta refused the box because it said live animals on it. I opened it and explained it was just coral but they still refused because salt water is corrosive and they cant have corrosive items in the cargo hold. So if you do check a box that is coral I wouldn't put "Live Animals" on it like suggested earlier, just put "Fragile" on it.

coezy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have the snorkeling and reef bug ! We go to the Keys every year now and catch and collect things for our tank! We just pack an extra checked bag with what we bring back and have never had any problems! Brought a cute little queen angel and a blue tang along with a clean up crew for my 150 that we caught ourselves. Just pack it well, we line the suitcase with beach towels or clothes and pack the bags in the middle.
Yes, we just buy a saltwater fishing license and away we go, you have to follow the catch limits, we have been checked twice while we have been snorkeling. They actually get you out of the water and count what you have in your nets and bucket.

Butitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So does my family! From multiple experiences just save the headaches and pack in a checked luggage well marked that says live specimen or coral. Pack like you are going to ship in the mail, well sealed, heat pack, styrofoam like you said.

Per TSA the only live animal in water you can bring on is a fish, something any TSA agent can see swimming and alive. All TSA agents don't know what a coral is and a brown lump in a vial of liquid will not convince them. This is what happened to my brother from Denver to Tucson. Luckily he was able to run to the sowthwest counter and check it in, and has done since then.

Many people have said carry on is fine, which I am sure works for some people on the right day with a trusting and not angry TSA agent. If you want it to go without a hitch, check it in. Good luck!
indeed... packed it well and checked it in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back