How well do LED's handle heat

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a nanocube hqi and what i hate about it is no actinics, so i am thinking about adding 6 led's to the reflector, i would drill large enough for the bulb or optic on the led in the reflector and put all the wiring and such behind the reflector. Obviously it gets hot in there so I am wondering how they would work with the heat.

Thanks
'

OP
OP
solastsummer

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not biocube, and there is room to mount 2 heatsinks behind the reflector which is what i would do, here is what im thinking, my insanely professional went-to-school for cad drawing.

28G-Nano-HQI.jpg

OP
OP
solastsummer

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bummer, so my options are to gut out the system and switch to complete led or add the nanotuners cf retro....

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry, i read this as biocube not nanocube :). Im not sure what the reflector they use is made of but if its anything like the BC's i wouldnt do it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that hqi is gonna kill them in a hurry!!!!:( I would go all led it should be relatively cheap to get a kit from bill at reef led lights... A 24bulb kit would rock it althou a 12 would prolly get ya by...

OP
OP
solastsummer

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could sell a bunch of frags to afford the 24 kit... I wonder if i could just sell my hqi canopy and buy a stock canopy and do it in there....

OP
OP
solastsummer

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also troy im gonna be in vegas this weekend, what are some good LFS's to check out?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya if you stripped the hood completely how much space you got?? Length and width wise... 2" centers seem to be good for diy kits... So say you have a 12"x12 area I would get like 24 to 30 LEDs..

OP
OP
solastsummer

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12" by 12" would be a good estimate without being at home and able to measure it.

OP
OP
solastsummer

solastsummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of my extended family live in vegas, so far i have been dissapointed by the ones i have checked out, I'll check out blue reef for sure.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the 24 kit then... Should make a real nice..;) I would just get 2 meanwell 40-68d dimmable drivers then you could control all the whites and blue separate... If ya wanted to save a few bucks you could run them on a single driver in parallel strings but then it's all on or off you couldn't separate them...;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back