How Will My Noo-Psyches Grow? (RETIRED)

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! Why aren't you sleeping?!

I need 9-10 hours to feel like anything that resembles rested. This 7-hour nonsense isn't cutting it!!

8CF61D06-4979-4F12-B1F6-9A7123D8A9BC.jpeg

E046221B-F8DB-4BD4-A628-2DC31E753ED9.jpeg
Having a firm, steady wake time is one of the most important things you can do for your sleep.

This unsolicited message is brought to you by me, JXNATC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just like that, the tank is clear! I'm feeling pretty victorious right now. :D

4A7478DD-4DA4-4D78-8066-A2A5858897E1.jpeg

This dude has definitely seen better days, though.

C2F1C33C-4DBE-4004-BA0B-A5BA16E7BFA7.jpeg

And have you ever seen a dying hammer fill itself with marshmallow fluff?!

73FBE530-9B0F-4663-90CF-DF50240564E2.jpeg

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to clear it? Did you empty and scrub?
Nope!! I haven't even had time to do a water change yet.

I cut the lights yesterday and ran 75% UV and 25% blue, plopped my HOB skimmer on the back (I had to empty it 2-3 times), and yanked the UV sterilizer from the sump downstairs.

Since the initial bloom (which was Wednesday, I think), I cleaned the front of the glass twice that day, once Thursday, and once again last night. Last night the gross smell was totally gone, and this morning there is no new algae on the glass (I still need to clean the sides and back).

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been stated a few times...they are using googletranslate. Not only is it next to possible to convey context and nuance in the written form, but imaging going through language barriers and an incorrect translation. @noopsyche is being VERY engaged and doing a lot to try and help...it just is translating poorly. Give them the benefit of the doubt.
I fully understand the limitations of Google Translate (or any machine translation). I’m not criticizing based on the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the translation and it’s ability to adequately capture nuance - they absolutely deserve some slack on that front. What I am criticizing is the fixation on the fan noise and the quickness and frequency with which it appears that they are attempting to point to user error while simultaneously ignoring other legitimate complaints. While I’m sure that the responses would be more tactful without the Google Translate issues, I don’t think the overly defensive approach is the result of details being lost in translation. We have 13 pages of this thread now and that trend is pretty apparent.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay y'all, one week down. I honestly don't know if I'll make it another seven weeks. Despite these lights being a lower wattage than my Maxspect lights, and having the white and blue intensity set significantly lower, after just one week of my corals under NPs I'm starting to see bleaching.

I dropped the intensity of all channels after taking the below photos.

Day Seven NP K7 V3.png

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am criticizing is the fixation on the fan noise
Yes but the way I see it they are focusing on fan noise because the OP mentioned it and then gave a decibel rating that @noopsyche thinks is louder than they should be. Noopsyche has said that if the lights are that loud that there is an issue and they would like to work on getting it fixed.
I have been dealing with Noopsyche over an unrelated issue and I've been impressed with how responsive they've been over trying to find a resolution to an issue I've had.

As for the controller it is really cheap feeling and that is the biggest complaint that you will see about the lights. It does take a little getting used to setting the options, but once doing it a time or two I don't think it's too bad to use. Ecspecially for something that once I get my lights how I like them I will probably never touch again

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I sent you the light, I told you that if you have any questions, please contact us for support. You have never actively contacted us once. Not even @us for helping solve the problem. If we hear loud noises that prove to be quality problems and parts need to be replaced, we will definitely provide support.
@noopsyche

Don't forget that you did send these lights out for free and told recipients that they needed to post pictures and videos describing their experience. Sounds like you're getting what you asked for.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the way I see it they are focusing on fan noise because the OP mentioned it and then gave a decibel rating that @noopsyche thinks is louder than they should be. Noopsyche has said that if the lights are that loud that there is an issue and they would like to work on getting it fixed.
I have been dealing with Noopsyche over an unrelated issue and I've been impressed with how responsive they've been over trying to find a resolution to an issue I've had.

As for the controller it is really cheap feeling and that is the biggest complaint that you will see about the lights. It does take a little getting used to setting the options, but once doing it a time or two I don't think it's too bad to use. Ecspecially for something that once I get my lights how I like them I will probably never touch again
For the record, @Mibu's dB reading confirmed my measurements.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant to measure mine yesterday but got busy working on something else. I'll try to remember today just to compare.
For the record, @Mibu's dB reading confirmed my measurements.
If you want things quiet and have your tank in a book reading room. I suppose these lights may not be in the category of "peace and quiet" All around the noise of level of them in my house is next to nothing.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want things quiet and have your tank in a book reading room. I suppose these lights may not be in the category of "peace and quiet" All around the noise of level of them in my house is next to nothing.
I think they'd be great for a book reading room! They'd drown out ambient noise. ;)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more. I can barely notice them over my wife and kids yelling at each other.

I just heard one kick on and went to go measure the volume and the fan went back off before I got a reading.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back