How'd You Plumbing Your UV?

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting aside the hotly debated UV or no UV discussion, for those who have UV sterilizers, how did you plumb it into your setup? Picture would be appreciated!

PeterNockner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hangs at the back of the aquarium.
20190515_173420.jpeg

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATM I have mine plumbed in with soft tubing. It is fed from a separate pump that sits at the start of my sump and the UV exits into the return of my sump after going through a ball valve to slow the flow down.

I will be re-plumbing my return to include a manifold and will eventually hard plumb the UV to that. When I am eventually feeding the UV off of the return, I will put the output into the start of the sump to try and keep the feed and output semi separated (so at least hopefully most of the water going through it will still be "dirty"). I'm at work now so I don't have any pics but just imagine a mess of wires, tubes and salt creep :p

MrPorter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting aside the hotly debated UV or no UV discussion, for those who have UV sterilizers, how did you plumb it into your setup? Picture would be appreciated!
Tied mine into it's own pump I can shut off and on. Planning on building a manifold though.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures...
Interested because I am plumbing them into my aquaculture system as a precaution.

I pretty much have it set on what I am going to do but would love pictures of what others are going to do!

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!!

I know you UV users are out there! Don't be shy~

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take advantage of gravity - mine is on my siphon drain.

4ECDD4B1-2B74-4875-937E-E27980C10E96.jpeg
I like this idea the most. Everything goes through the UV this way. In theory of course haha.
What type of drain do you use herbie, bean etc. any drain noise from it that normally wouldn’t be because of the horizontal pipes? Do you
Have the UV power tied to cut off when the return pump shuts down or does it keep water in the lines by itself? Thinking this is how I wanna run mine

Matt

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is installed on the main siphon line of my modified bean drain (nominally 1,000 gph through the UV). Tank is one floor up, so there's plenty of gravity to ensure the UV doesn't air lock the siphon drain. That black line you see out of the top is something I added to allow the horizontal housing to more easily vent air. Once the drain is fully restarted, water jets out of that black hose into my sump. I've got the 1/4" apex flow sensor on the line and if flow is measured below a certain level (indicating the UV housing is not flooded), apex turns off the UV. Apex will also turn off the UV if the main pump is not running.

The only thing you have to be mindful of is detritus buildup inside the housing since it is on the drain. I have screens on all my bean drains so nothing big can get in there but there will be shmutz accumulation over time.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ca1ore for the fast response. Wish I had a basement some times to put my sump but basements are unheard of down in Louisiana. I’m going to try and do the same except in stand, I’m sure I’ll be replumbing it several times before I get it right lol.

Matt

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back