Huge let down.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have to state that a tank that is deeper than your arm, is a serious pain to work with!! My current tank is 24" tall. I "can" reach the bottom, but even with my long arms, it is a pain.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1984.. I was in Jr. High.. was just really getting into music and my tastes were more along the lines of Ratt, Motley Crue, Dio, Ozzy, Rush, and the like. Wasn't till many years later that I began to appreciate that punk rock sound from that era.
Holy Diver!!!!

OP
OP
Teaman89

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you been screwed? Screwed is when you pay for something and the seller don't deliver.

Put yourself in the seller's place. They have someone that is ready to complete the transaction. What is he supposed to do?

"Sorry dude, I got some guy thats driving from 2 hours away to buy it".

I would have sold it too.
I understand that completely. If he would have told me he needs the money for a sure purchase I woulda venmoed it to him.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you imagine being on a stepladder trying to get to the bottom back of a 30" tall tank to replace a frag that got knocked off while also working in the confined space of the canopy???

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Diver!!!!
1660618195037.png

One of my favorite albums of all time. I still have the vinyl print I got in early 84.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, a verbal agreement doesn't mean squat until money changes hands. Until there is lawful consideration, ie an exchange of something of value, there wasn't any enforceable agreement.

sucks, but it is what it is. OP got beat to this deal unfortunately.

A sale isn't a sale until either the goods or the payment are exchanged with both parties understanding the deal. when one party doesn't live up to that, then the other party can claim being screwed. No goods or money were exchanged here, so no deal was made.

feelings were hurt, but no binding agreements were broken.

OP, fear not, there are lots of used tanks available now.
The pandemic brought a lot of new people into the hobby and this hobby also has a very large failure/quit rare so a large number of those tanks will be back on the market soon.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just made everything better.
But seriously, I have felt your pain. You have your heart set on something, your mind is turning a million miles an hour on what you’re going to do and how you’re going to do it. Then it vanishes in thin air. Don't get me started about in high school my dad supposedly knew a guy that had a 69 charger with a 426, that was selling it for $500... "By the time I got around to seeing him, he already sold it..." what the heck
But coming from a guy that sells stuff occasionally, 80% of the ppl are flakes. Just stop looking for your perfect tank and it will appear. In the meantime, buy a 40 breeder at the $1 a gallon sale and build it out with upgraded equipment so you can just transfer that over to your bigger tank when you find it.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But seriously, I have felt your pain. You have your heart set on something, your mind is turning a million miles an hour on what you’re going to do and how you’re going to do it. Then it vanishes in thin air. Don't get me started about in high school my dad supposedly knew a guy that had a 69 charger with a 426, that was selling it for $500... "By the time I got around to seeing him, he already sold it..." what the heck
But coming from a guy that sells stuff occasionally, 80% of the ppl are flakes. Just stop looking for your perfect tank and it will appear. In the meantime, buy a 40 breeder at the $1 a gallon sale and build it out with upgraded equipment so you can just transfer that over to your bigger tank when you find it.
This is the right idea! Get something small and equip it with stuff to fit the future tank! Maybe not a 40 if you are wanting a 150+ gallon but you can easily do a 75 and get a sump and skimmer to fit the planned future tank.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry. But you won’t believe the number of times this happened to me I even payed a part of it to one of the sellers but it didn’t work out. It kept happening that way for almost a year but I never gave up I knew that there must be a tank out there for me. I ended up getting a brand new reefer 250 with a free skimmer, pump, and rock!
You will find a better one, trust me.

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - Once you agree to the deal - the deal is done!

If you don’t honor your transaction, then you have no more credibility.

The guy doesn't care about his credibility with one anonymous person two hours away.

For men like you and I, our word is our bond. But not everyone is like us.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the local online clasifieds a lot, I buy and sell, many different items. 99% of it is garbage, but once in a while you see an amazing deal, and those amazing deals are gone within one hour. I'm sorry you lost out, but I've learned that another amazing deal always comes along.

Try to get online to check once an hour. It sounds dumb, but like I said, the amazing deals go right away, literally gone within the hour, so if you checking only once a day then you miss the best deals.

Also, a lot of people online trying to sell their stuff for more than its worth brand new. These people are daydreaming and they dont get any offers. I've learned that if you lowball these guys, there is almost 50/50 chance to get it at the price you want. Most people trying to overprice the kit by including rocks and sand and a heater, etc... tell them you only want the tank and stand and lowball, you will be surprised at the result.

I would also add that if you really want something and you are stuck for time, offer to send a deposit by online back transfer. I've been burned in the past, so I dont like to send more than $50, but most people are honest and it usually works out for me. Even if they dont take the deposit, just the offer will show them you really want it and most people are good.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy doesn't care about his credibility with one anonymous person two hours away.

Well said!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I definitely see it from the op’s point, but I doubt many people buying used tanks pay before seeing the tank, they want to check it out first, so was the deal done or was the op going to check out the tank before handing over the money?
The seller could have texted and offered the op the chance to pay up front.
The the seller was probably thinking the distance the op was travelling was a minus not a plus, thinking he could back out.

Saying all that, the seller should have kept the op in the loop.

OP
OP
Teaman89

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, a verbal agreement doesn't mean squat until money changes hands. Until there is lawful consideration, ie an exchange of something of value, there wasn't any enforceable agreement.

sucks, but it is what it is. OP got beat to this deal unfortunately.

A sale isn't a sale until either the goods or the payment are exchanged with both parties understanding the deal. when one party doesn't live up to that, then the other party can claim being screwed. No goods or money were exchanged here, so no deal was made.

feelings were hurt, but no binding agreements were broken.

OP, fear not, there are lots of used tanks available now.
The pandemic brought a lot of new people into the hobby and this hobby also has a very large failure/quit rare so a large number of those tanks will be back on the market so
That’s what/is the plan was. I have a 50 cube that is getting transferred into our next tank. I get the flaky ppl I deal with them all the time. Just wish he woulda thrown me a text. But there ain’t nothing I can do about it now. Like alot of ppl said something better will show up and I know it will. But this is one of those reason I don’t like to pay in advance cause at least I’m only out the tank and not the $500 to.
083C2262-33DC-4540-A175-118346818908.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the expected outcome exactly?
What lawyer will accept such case??
Judge Judy would lol! Where there’s money anything is possible the point of me saying this was not that it’s worth it but that it can be done because in reality any verbal or written agreement including an agreement made on a selling platform is enforceable by law and when broken can be taken to court and in theory the seller could be forced to pay $500.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back