Human grade krill

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all read about the thiaminese threat with feeding krill, well all crustaceans contain thiaminese. These foods also contain vitamin B1, which is what thiaminese binds to make it so dangerous. Predatory fish seem especially damaged by a vitamin B1 deficiency, what many describe as lockjaw is one indicator. The krill from the lfs is not only is sprayed with ethoxyquin, but by it's color you can tell it's old. The orange color tells that this food was long dead before packaged, then who knows how long it's been frozen in the pipeline before you get it home. This means that any viable vitamine B1 is long gone, and that leaves us with thiaminese.

Now you can get human grade krill, usually found at Asian markets, that was frozen fresh and is dated so you can use it while it still has viable natural nutrition. I mention this because krill in this form can be a food accepted by an otherwise picky predator. Although I feed live exclusively I have used this in a pinch, and they readily accept it, pretty much looks just like the ghosties they are used to eating. Oh yeah it's about $4 for an 8oz pack.

1652921162266.png

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king. Thank you. This is great info. I have two fowlr tanks with multiple Arothron Puffers, Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Porcupine Puffer, Striped Burrfish, Harlequin Tusk and other omnivores.

I feed these daily:
LRS Chunky sometimes Rods Predator
ProSalt clam strips
ProSalt krill
Squid (various brands depending..)

2x weekly:
Ocean Nutrition or H20 brand:
clams on a half shell and/or mussels

Any experience with these brands? I know LRS and Rods are very good. I've been in the saltwater hobby for about 15 years and freshwater same amount of time before saltwater. I'm constantly learning and read your posts everytime I see them since they align with my niche here. Anything you would change up or add? I assume human grade but your thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king. Thank you. This is great info. I have two fowlr tanks with multiple Arothron Puffers, Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Porcupine Puffer, Striped Burrfish and other omnivores.

I feed these daily:
LRS Chunky sometimes Rods Predator
ProSalt clam strips
ProSalt krill
Squid (various brands depending..)

2x weekly:
Ocean Nutrition or H20 brand:
clams on a half shell and/or mussels

Any experience with these brands? I know LRS and Rods are very good. I've been in the saltwater hobby for about 15 years and freshwater same amount of time before saltwater. I'm constantly learning and read your posts everytime I see them since they align with my niche here. Anything you would change up or add? I assume human grade but your thoughts?

Yes all the foods you are feeding are good foods. The species you are feeding will do very well on that diet. How is the burrfish eating, that's the only one I would be concerned with, but I imagine with his mates he has caught on. They are known to be difficult to feed.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you. I appreciate that. Burrfish is doing great. I've had him 9 months. Moved him from a 100g to the ~200g 2 months ago. He's doubled in size. Eats literally everything including foods in the rotation of nori, flakes, pellets, mysis, bloodworms intended the other fish to go after.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So much for fish store food. Krill is red. I thought it might of been cooked. In the can it goes. No wonder our fish die.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back