Hunger strike

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had my blue face angel now for over 6 months. Always eats like a pig even though shy. Mysis, brine shrimp, raw gulf shrimp, nori... he eats it all and with gusto.

Last night, the blue face wouldn't touch the food. He is hiding more than usual. When I approach the tank he came out like he wanted to eat, sees the food, then would retreat back to his cave. He would normally chase away other fish from the nori, this time he wasn't even interested.

He is the bully of the tank filled with other angels. He still chases other angels away from his cave. The other angels and tang eat very aggressively. I don't see any signs of injuries or diseases. There is a slight discoloration patch on the side of his body. Nothing I would think much of, but will keep an eye out.

At this point, I am ready to panic. If he doesn't eat when I feed him tonight, I will probably take him out for quarantine. Probably a freshwater bath and added to quarantine for a few days.

From my experience, a fish not eating is signs of something serious and it only takes a few days before the fish dies. Loosing this fish would be devastating for me. Got him when he was only 3" and he is a good 5" now and finally seeing some color change. By far the blue face and my emperor angel are my favorite of the tank

Tank has been established now for over a year. Water parameters shouldn't be an issue as corals looking good.

Anyone got any suggestions?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check water parameters as some angels are sensitive to high nitrates. My angels would fade in color and give me the 1st indications I was letting my water conditions slip. Did you add anyone new, angels will graze on poo, and if a new addition came in with internal parasites, this is something that happens also. Angels can also suffer from nutritional deficiencies and will start refusing food when they are not providing them the nutrition they need. There are angel formula foods and supplements like Brightwell angel elixir that add a benefit. Mysis and brine are not the most nutritious foods, including some varied minced seafood like clams, mussels, and fish; foods like LRS and Rods.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the advise to check the waste products. I have had fish get unhappy with super high no3 and po4 levels - some are fine and some don't act the same.

I would wait a week before you worry too much. If you recently added new fish that might have added in a parasite, then maybe a few days. Fish can die quickly of parasites, but it takes many months to die of not eating alone.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a asfur.

I will check my po4 and nitrate levels. It should be ok considering I don't have an algae problem. But I do feed the fish quite a bit. I am running on oversized skimmer and roller mat.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a asfur.

I will check my po4 and nitrate levels. It should be ok considering I don't have an algae problem. But I do feed the fish quite a bit. I am running on oversized skimmer and roller mat.

Observe if there is any angst between the two angels, this can be sneaky, and it could just be some stress. The dynamics could make the blueface hesitant to feed and what you see on the side could be a little bruising to them mixing it up. Because angels do graze on waste during collection and transport they do have high rates of internal parasites, so carefully observe the new angel as well. Watch for stringy poo and you do not want it to go too long without taking a action. Internal parasites is easily treated with general cure, and in some cases isn't even a bad idea as a prophylactic treatment. I've seen many cases of angels not eating and it's been internal parasites.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite sure its internal parasites now that I am thinking about it. I will setup a quarantine tank and add prazi, metro and some methylene blue. I will probably add both my emperor and blue face just in case the emperor is infected as well. Maybe the asfur too

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it is internal parasites you can treat in the tank. And set up a tank to let it cycle in the meantime. Just in case.

Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back