Hybrid LED/T5 Lighting Schedule

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been discussed at length previously. Searching the forum for some info, but it all seems pretty gear-specific.

Cycling a new 150 gallon (72"x18"x30") tank. Once cycle is complete I'd like to introduce a couple Percs to get started.

Having some trouble finding suggestions on lighting schedules. I have a three black boxes (two 165-watt full spectrum no-names and one Mars Aqua 125W with individual blue/white mixes). Also put in two 80W T5 retrofits (purple plus and actinic blue) to combat the dreaded shadowing. Hoping these will be sufficient until I get the cash to buy some respectable LEDS.

Anyone have any links or suggestions as to potential lighting schedules once I introduce the fish? I assume that will intensify down the road once I bring in some corals, but I hope to have it down by then.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For just fish, its just personal preference. I would not even bother running the t5. I would run just the LED ~8hrs a day, keep them turned down so you don't grow a big algae farm. When you add corals then you can add in your t5. Could use them in the evening for better "pop" while viewing and then have them stay on an hour after the LED go off (or in combo with the blue) for a nice sunset effect. Once you have corals in I would run LED 10-12 hours a day and have the t5 on when you are around if you like the look it gives the tank. Otherwise just have them on for like 6 hours during the day to help shaded areas of the corals.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw one of your bulbs is a purple +, that is a white/daylight bulb, so I would just run the t5 mid day/middle of the lighting schedule for 4-6 hours once you have corals in the tank. So for instance, if this were my tank I would run a lighting schedule to be on for a good portion of the day when I am home. I shoot for 10-12 hours. So....

12:00pm Blue LED
13:00 Blue and white LED
14:00 Blue/white LED and t5
20:00 Bluewhite LED T5 OFF
21:00 Blue LED, white off
22:00 OFF

That's totally just a quick example and you can move it around so the lights are on when you are home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw one of your bulbs is a purple +, that is a white/daylight bulb, so I would just run the t5 mid day/middle of the lighting schedule for 4-6 hours once you have corals in the tank. So for instance, if this were my tank I would run a lighting schedule to be on for a good portion of the day when I am home. I shoot for 10-12 hours. So....

12:00pm Blue LED
13:00 Blue and white LED
14:00 Blue/white LED and t5
20:00 Bluewhite LED T5 OFF
21:00 Blue LED, white off
22:00 OFF

That's totally just a quick example and you can move it around so the lights are on when you are home.

Hey, this has been working out great for me, by the way. Appreciate your advice here!

Back